Modular type evolving bleep patterns

• Hi there

Please excuse the beginners questions here.

When I bought my virus I recall watching a vid or listening to a sound clip on the access site somewhere of a sort of modular sounding sequence of evolving bleeps (sorry not sure how to describe it!)

This was to show how the virus can recreate the more sort of 70s experimental analogue sounding evolving textures. Can anyone point me to something or would behind enough to explain how I could go about programming that kind of thing?

I guess it's a sequenced loop, but with a shifting timing to it and things being modulated. Mod matrix is something I have yet to grasp.

Many thanks

Cheers Simon

• My favorite way of generating bleeps is to use an LFO of pulse (=square) shape. This LFO will then modulate OSC volume (the initial value of the OSC volume depends on whether you are modulating positively/negatively and uni/bipolarly). You can choose whatever waveform you want for the oscillators.
    Bleep randomization: Use a different LFO to modulate the previously mentioned pulse LFO. Modulating the rate will squeeze and stretch the "pulse train". Modulating the contour will determine the ratio of bleep vs. silence. You can use one LFO to modulate both parameters of the pulse LFO (in which case the modulation matrix will be handy) , or you can use two independent LFO-s. If you want the modulation to be totaly random, use the S&H or S&G shapes.
    What would you like to modulate now? Oscillator pitch? Waveform index? Filter cutoff and/or resonance? Whether you have an LFO left or not, you can still use the modulation matrix for modulating any of those parameters by LFO-s which are already used. Moreover, you can also make the LFO-s modulate each other's parameters for increased madness.

• Fantastic, thanks very much for your reply Bob.

I've luckily ended up with these sounds once or twice but then theres that saying about monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare given long enough..

Any starter guides anywhere that you may know of?

Thanks again, wanted to do this for about 30 years

Cheers