Odd Buffer Size and Communication Probelms?

• Hi,

I am running FL Studio 10.0.0 with a Focusrite Saffire Firewire (since discontinued) which is unable to select "normal" buffer sizes such as 64, 128, 256, etc. Rather, it sets the buffer length in milliseconds. I am running the Saffire at 2ms, which happens to be 88smp for whatever reason.

This setting works extremely well when I am using MIDI and recording audio (ie not using Virus Control or usb).

Recently I decided to update to OS5 and start using Virus Control again...but now I am getting a Virus TI setup diagnostics message that reads, and I quote:

"Virus TI has discovered a setup problem. The host is using an odd audio interface buffer size which causes communication problems. Please adjust the buffer size to any of the following sample values instead: 64, 128, 256, 612."

I have spoken with the support staff at Focusrite and as mentioned above, I cannot select said "normal" values.

So my real question is...what is really going on here? What is this "communication problem," and how does it manifest itself? I get this message every time I load the vst instance of VC. Is it a real problem? Should I quit music?

Thanks,
    Sile

• I had this problem as well. I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 10.
    I solved it by using Asio4All in between. here you can select normal buffer sizes and the "message" will be gone

• Same issue here, also zero problems with my audio interface. Very irritating half-solution by Access. I've already opened a thread about this here:
    http://virus.info/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3528

Is a simple "don't show this message again" check-box really so hard to implement? :rolleyes:

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• here is some info on the warning message: odd buffer sizes result in a higher latency and other side effects some of you might hear or not hear, feel or not feel. the asio4all driver does not display a message but essentially, it has the same "problem". we have implemented the warning message so users can optimize their systems for best performance. if you can, it is in your interest to adjust the settings accordingly.
    marc
    ps. and yes, a "do not show again" check box makes sense. i just hope that some will not just set and forget and complain about latency issues later.

• . we have implemented the warning message so users can optimize their systems for best performance. if you can, it is in your interest to adjust the settings accordingly.
    marc

Our problem is that we can not optimize our systems, only by buying a new soundcard. Maybe not a fault of Access, but in my case the cheapest solutions for a 10 in 10 output card will cost at leat Euro 450,- which I do not want to spent at the moment.. I have to deal with the situation as is for now.

• Our problem is that we can not optimize our systems, only by buying a new soundcard. Maybe not a fault of Access, but in my case the cheapest solutions for a 10 in 10 output card will cost at leat Euro 450,- which I do not want to spent at the moment.. I have to deal with the situation as is for now.

fair play. and we can't bend physics. nevertheless there will be a "show no more" checkbox in the future.
    hth, marc

• I also have got this problem with my Edirol FA-101 (Firewire). I feel much more people might have this problem as well! So why not add the feature that enables me to adjust the buffer size (odd value) in Virus Control??? Because all of us cannot change their value with different soundcards to 256, 512 etc..

Hope there will be a solution in near future because I suppose these are reasons for the sync problems with Arps!!!

BY NEUROTONAL

• I also have got this problem with my Edirol FA-101 (Firewire). I feel much more people might have this problem as well! So why not add the feature that enables me to adjust the buffer size (odd value) in Virus Control??? Because all of us cannot change their value with different soundcards to 256, 512 etc..

Hope there will be a solution in near future because I suppose these are reasons for the sync problems with Arps!!!

BY NEUROTONAL

I dare say this IS the problem with timing/Arp/Sync issues for "most" users, that and slow CPU's coupled with RAM, and their own individual set ups. I have said on other posts, it is unfortunate Access cannot make their hard ware (which they know works on their system setups) operate flawlessly on everyone else's systems, There are simply too many variables to make the whole thing reliable, but im sure they do work hard to try and sort peoples "individual problems" via Access support.

Im sure we will get there eventually, but there are workarounds for most problems, and being the complex/powerful beast the Virus range is, im happy with the control/reliability i have, at the moment, but im one of the lucky ones i think... i know it can be frustrating if you use as a pro tool on a daily basis though. :S

BY NEUROTONAL

you don't understand it: there is nothing to enable or disable, it is just a warning that the conditions are not ideal. and those conditions are defined by the audio driver of the interface in question and not out software/hardware
    marc

• you are not alone! 8) why access implemented this in VC is beyond me... it works for me as is... even though it reports a "possible problem" so just ignore if it works...

Don't always believe what you read! my EDIROL UA-1000 doesnt support Access reccomended buffer sizes but it works... 8|

Same here. I have an Edirol UA-1000 and I get the same error messages when starting up my Virus. Regardless of this, it still seems to work fine. It is however, mildly annoying and I do wonder sometimes if the timings on things like sync'd LFO's are being affected by this miss-match.

The whole Virus TI thing can be so hit and miss in terms of stability that I sometimes think about buying a new sound card just to solve this particular problem, even though the problem doesn't seem to greatly effect my particular set up!....I guess it's mild paranoia and the desire to see my Virus (which is a big investment) work flawlessly.
    ?(

• Exactly my thoughts and i almost felt at one point to change my Sound module, but....as you say it "works" so why bother? im sure there are other units with the same issues too... but as Marc said, they are going to include a " dont show this again check box" i believe, so.. not an problem, just annoying...

On another note, i came on here tonight, as i was actually enjoying my Virus, and its stable as its ever been, its a pleasure to use it.. i feel for the users who are suffering but... as i always have said, its a simple case of mismatching PC hardware V Virus...

I am a tech, who deals with this stuff every day, albeit camera & PC based communications, its very hard to diagnose multiple system configs along with various user requirements, and i feel Access are actually pretty good! at their game, considering their scope of user requirements that need to accomodate the virus which, lets face it... is reliant on the old USB 1 standard, due to its hardware limitations?? right? so as PC technology evolves, hardware and software becomes obsolete, and backwards compatability becomes harder to implement also,

All im saying is, be aware of what you bought, when you bought it, and respect any help Access give you in the way of upgrades, enhancements, features, bug fixes etc.... If this was a Keyboard/product from Roland, Korg etc... you would have been left with a brick!! you invested in a developing technology, and are exclusive to their way of thinking in terms of making your valued equipment future proof (as much as possible) thats why i bought my TI2 Keyboard, i did ponder and think...but knew it was a good financial/technical investment....so bought it!

Off topic i know, but... i feel like we have an exclusive beautiful instrument no other company can deliver, and i sort of feel proud to be part of that club.... :thumbup:

Same here. I have an Edirol UA-1000 and I get the same error messages when starting up my Virus. Regardless of this, it still seems to work fine. It is however, mildly annoying and I do wonder sometimes if the timings on things like sync'd LFO's are being affected by this miss-match.

The whole Virus TI thing can be so hit and miss in terms of stability that I sometimes think about buying a new sound card just to solve this particular problem, even though the problem doesn't seem to greatly effect my particular set up!....I guess it's mild paranoia and the desire to see my Virus (which is a big investment) work flawlessly.
    ?(

Oppps sorry for all the quotes! dunno what happened there :thumbup: