Totally Odd: Updated Virus OS5 USB crashes iChat!

• This is a new one for me:

Updated the Ti to OS5, no issues. Go to plug in the USB in a Logic session I'm knee deep in, and iChat (10.6.8) crashes!

Ok, so can't be the Virus right? That doesn't make that much sense right?.... so I unplug the Virus, launch iChat... it's fine! Ok, let's unplug and quit Logic, launch iChat, works again.... ok... plug in USB, Crashes! Repeat, ad nauseum always the same result.

Anyone else having this issue?

I think it's kinda funny really, why should iChat care about the Virus? Then i realize, iChat's "audio" option for chats must think it's a new audio interface, tries to connect to it, and fails?

Thoughts?

• If the Virus TI shares the same USB bus then the internal iChat / Facetime camera, then this definitely makes sense.
    I would switch the USB setup in the way that the TI does not share the same USB bus the Apple internal camera is on as well.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• If the Virus TI shares the same USB bus then the internal iChat / Facetime camera, then this definitely makes sense.
    I would switch the USB setup in the way that the TI does not share the same USB bus the Apple internal camera is on as well.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

Thankfully I don't have an internal camera (MacPro with 3rd party screens here), but can't figure out a configuration that doesn't crash iChat.

Not the end of the world, just annoying, as I use iChat for work.

Was mainly interested in seeing if other users where having any similar issues with OS5.

Going to try a 3rd party client instead of iChat as a work around for now. Cheers!

C.

_
    The Cell Studio, Los Angeles

• I totally agree with Ruari,
    Yes a weird problem, but obvious. There are previous discussion points around a lot of these issues.
    Even one I read regarding WiFi.
    If it's audio I'm working with, then that's all that's operating. I disable everything. Even WiFi
    Work with the absolute necessity

• Tonight I was trying to leave iChat open while working in my studio so my wife could IM me if she needed me...

I have just updated to OS5, and mysteriously every time I tried to launch it, it failed. It took me a good half hour and some blind luck of finding this thread to realize the two were effecting one another...

Really, really, weird...

Has anyone submitted this bug to Access? heh

• I'm glad I'm not crazy! my work around is Adium, hate the way it looks but at least I can keep my ADD behaviors :P

• This is a stupid bug. they should've updated it by now.

here's the problem:

3 com.apple.viceroy.framework 0x00007fff8703c866 GetAudioDeviceDescriptions + 902
    4 com.apple.viceroy.framework 0x00007fff8703d520 GetAudioDeviceList + 224
    5 com.apple.viceroy.framework 0x00007fff87001f58 +[VideoConferenceController microphoneList] + 24

There's a solution posted here for how to properly query audio devices for capabilities:

http://stackoverflow.com/quest…t-a-list-of-input-devices

If you google for com.apple.viceroy.framework, there are reports of people having this same problem when they use Bluetooth headsets too, so the issue might be on apple's end. Regardless, this bug shouldn't be around after over a year of knowing about it.