psytrance FX

• This sound is based on a single sawtooth wave oscillator, only that it is high-pass filtered so that the basic harmonics that make up the sound go away and you are left with a buzz. I used filter 2 for this, unlinked the filters (SER4 routing) from each other, set filter 2 to HP, and the cutoff to ~55. I saved Filter 1 for a different purpose - if you listen to the link, the first note is low-pass filtered, so I used filter 1 to control this, using the key velocity: set the filter envelope all the way up to look like a ramp. Only leave the attack on 0. reduce filter 1 cutoff to ~30, velocity to maximum positive effect on envelope amount, which is set to an initial value of 60%. If you find the key velocity too tricky for this, you can always use the filter 1 cutoff knob. While we are on the filter page let's take the opportunity to give the notes a maximum length similar to what can be heard in the link: set decay to 121 (change this value if you want to shorten or lengthen the notes), sustain to 96.9% and sustain slope to minimum (-64).
    The first of the other properties of the sound are its descending pitch, for which I used the pre-routed control of LFO1 to oscillator 1 pitch, at ~+80%. LFO1 is set to be sawtooth in ENV mode, rate 75-80 and trigger phase can be left as off. The second property is what sounds like an opening, almost talking, filter. I decided to use the vowel filter for this, if you have OS5 beta working for you, you can try some of the new filters as well - note that the LFO routing names might be different. So using the exact same LFO1 with its assignable routing option set to FreqShifter Freq, and the amount to -14.1% which will be translated to "open filter" on the left side of the vowel filter. So on the FX1 page, set Freq Shifter type to Vowel Filter, mix to ~75% to let some of the buzz through, resonance to a little above 50%, and now to create the opening effect that would sound like "wa-eh", set the frequency to be the destination "eh"=32%, because LFO1 will push it down then bring it up it slowly.
    Further tweaking: Extra buzz with digital (or any other) distortion, you can use even at full mix but set the drive below 50%. Use the pad opener character to lose more bass and get some stereo presence. Use the low EQ at negative gain to loose even more bass, and add some mids with the mid EQ. The final addition to this sound is the delay effect. For this sound I suggest using the tape delay because I noticed that the echoes loose some high end, and the tape delay has a filter: center frequency ~60 and bandwidth ~40 should do. The echoes are subtle so -8db with a feedback of 70% should suffice.
    Good luck!

• Hi !

Less than 24 hours for your answer, I'm really impressed !

Thank you so much for helping me.

I try to follow your settings but actually it doesn't sound good, i probably miss something because the "wa-eh" effect doesn't happen…

Could you detail more about your envelope filter ?
    does the vowel filters really is the better one for the job ? (I have the os5 and i could use an other envelope for the filter 2)

Also the fundamental note is too pronounce, have yon any idea about how to limit it ?

There is a sample of what I've done (i just choose chili overdrive instead of digital distortion)

http://soundcloud.com/rogerlatrique/avalon-fx-fail

Thank you again and sorry for my bad english

Have good sunday

• Are you sure you did the following things:

• Set oscillator balance so that only OSC1 is heard
    • Completely unlinked the filters (no cutoff link, no "filter" link)
    • Made sure that filter 2 is highpass and not influenced by the filter envelope / key velocity
    • Made sure LFO1 does not affect the main filters, just the vowel filter

Also I think you got the filters mixed up. The two main filters do not have an option to be set as vowel filters. The vowel filter is a channel (a.k.a part) effect. I did not upgrade to OS5 yet (waiting for the release) so I don't know if the vowel filter is still considered "freq shifter" or "filter bank", but in any case it is still an effect in the FX page, not a filter in the filter page.
    If after following this you are still having trouble, I'll try to upload some screenshots.

• Thanks i will check this !

I try to find in other direction it's not the same but I come closer.

http://soundcloud.com/rogerlatrique/psytrance-fx-new-try

OSC:

osc 1 hyper saw with the density in the lower position unison: twin

FILTER: (PAR routing)

f1: LPF cutoff :17 reso : 55

f2: HPF cutoff : 80 reso : 55

The cutoff positions are not very important because it will be automated in a sequencer.

filter envelope: A:0 D:31 S:0

Filter 1 envelope amount at 50% and filter 2 at 83%

envelope 3 : A:0 D:65 S:0

The envelope 3 modulate the pitch with an amount of +36

LFO:

I use only the lfo 2. it's a triangle wave the rate is 58 and it modulate the F1 -37 and F2 +42

cheers

• My explanation in pictures:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/a…flabberbob/AvalonFX01.png]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/a…flabberbob/AvalonFX02.png]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/a…flabberbob/AvalonFX03.png]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/a…flabberbob/AvalonFX04.png]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/a…flabberbob/AvalonFX05.png]

And this is what it sounds like!
    The fun thing about trying to imitate sounds is that along the way you come up with some unintended cool ones!

• Well done !

Thank you it was my envelopes which were wrong ...

I put the vowel on the macro 1 and the amp attack on the macro 2 to get more flexibility it's tremendous !

Thank you again

• I've achieved similar sounds by simply using a saw based osc going through a band pass filter.

Using LFOs have the pitch of the osc and cutoff of the band pass filter modulated, but going in opposite directions, I'll have to look into linking some sounds I achieved some months ago when i had a crack at this.

• hi flabberbob,

it´s a cool description.
    I´m new on virus and made your tutorial yesterday.
    Only one thing I didn´t get:

“and now to create the opening effect that would sound like "wa-eh", set the frequency to be the destination "eh"=32%“

What do you exactly mean ? I could´t anywhere find the "eh". How to set the frequency as destination from vowel filter?
    Maybe I don´t need on OS5 ?

Thank U and please keep up the good work :thumbup:

• “and now to create the opening effect that would sound like "wa-eh", set the frequency to be the destination "eh"=32%“

What I meant by this was that the initial position of the vowel control of the vowel filter should be 32% (vowel=32%) which is equivalent to an "eh" sound. The negative influence of the sawtooth LFO will cause it to start lower than that (at an "ooh" sound), but it will rise and finish with "eh".