Snow in Chicago (or, my story of Virus Lust and Fulfillment)

• Jim Richards from just outside Chicago,IL... I've wanted a virus since ariund 2002 when my assistant engineer(i was the head engineer at 35th St. Studios back then) made a track with me for an artist named Bodaiga who was produced by the rapper lil john... Lil John had hired us to make him some dance remixes of Bodaiga's track, and made mine with Reason 2(dont think 2.5 was out yet) while matthew went home and made HIS with a virus! Well, as you can imagine, i was blown away by THAT sound, and asked what it was... Virus B. As of July 29 i am the ecstatic and very impressed owner of a Virus TI Snow!

Whats your virus story?

• Great story man! I am also a proud and somewhat recent owner of a Virus in the Chicagoland area! I guess I'll share my story:

I discovered the magic of a Virus TI keyboard back when i was 14 at the Arlington Heights Guitar Center and fell in love with "The Sound" ever since. It was quite sick actually: I would ride my bike to Guitar Center every other day just to play it while they still had it, just so I could figure it out, literally playing the thing for at least 2 hours at a time. (I dont know how the people in the Pro Audio department continued to tolerate my noise all those times). All throughout high school, I produced music using Logic Pro, and settled for using various VST's. when i wasn't messing around with my own gear, I was tweaking knobs on the Virus at GC, drooling over it day after day, for at least a year while they still had it.

I think playing the Virus encouraged me to pursue producing electronic music in general, opening me up to the world of synths and the coolness associated with them. Unfortunately, I never was able to fulfill my dream of owning one while in high school. (minimum wage jobs were never enough to afford a three-thousand dollar synth despite my best saving efforts). I don't know how many times I searched the internet hoping to find a used Virus TI for cheap, but even at the time of the TI2 coming out, it was too damn expensive for my budget!

It must have been meant to be, because one day after doing my almost daily searching for one, I came across a Virus TI2 Keyboard, but not only that, but a super rare Whiteout Edition one in Flint Michigan on Guitar Center's online used section for a decent price. I constantly thought about possibly owning one of the rarest TI's to date...it made my head spin just thinking about it. I knew i could afford it if i saved up enough, but it would be long gone before I could get enough cash together. I HAD to have it!!! I ended up keeping in touch with the guys at the Michigan store for at least a few weeks, to make sure it was still there since I couldn't put it on hold without a deposit. (Really surprised that it didn't get snatched up within that time!) I ended out working out an INCREDIBLE deal with them over the phone, so I took out a loan and immediately sealed the deal...

After 6 years of drooling over "The Sound," I finally got the synth of my dreams, and not only that, but a TI2 Whiteout Edition, with the interesting Serial Number of #075/150! I still cannot believe i am sitting in front of it right now, I think I might just be taking this thing to my grave!

Hope you enjoyed it,

Nick Bock