So when can I use 10.8 and my Ti2?

• Hello,

This is me utilizing this forum to convey my thoughts and feelings to Access; if you don't like what I have to say tough. I'm not about to defend this statement; it will stand on its own.

There are numerous folks who can't use their Virus with OSX 10.8; myself included. What are you (Access) doing about this and when can we all enjoy the products we paid so much for? It is UNACCEPTABLE that I cannot utilize Apple's new OS with my Virus; by having to remove your product from my studio work you end up cost me money and time. Too, for whatever reason, your OS5 beta drivers cause desync with my TI and hence are wholly unusable; there are many more of us with this same problem too! I bought my full keyboard TI2 to use specifically within OSX and Logic; something which the Virus is supposed to be able to do. It seems that Access continues to be a day late and a dollar short. My Virus was broken since purchase for over a year and many, many updates passed with no success and only until I complained and complained did I finally get my TI2 looked at and repaired, only to find that I cannot use it again as it is intended (with OSX 10.8 ).

This full keyboard TI2 is my one and only Access product, and I am entirely dissatisfied with it's support, quality and functional ability. I am uncertain as to whether any future Access products will take residence in my production studio. This means the ball is in your court Access, do something properly or lose lots and lots of money and users.

Were you so unprepared for Apple's upcoming OSX, you guys didn't know for a WHOLE YEAR that 10.8 was on the way? Your TI OS 4.5.3 was released WAY BACK IN OCTOBER OF 2011!! You (Access) had really no idea that your 4.5.3 TI OS wouldn't work within 10.8? Access, you didn't even WARN the users that 10.8 and the old TI OS wouldn't work- it was up to myself and many other users on this forum who foolishly installed OSX 10.8 and then relayed the problems we were having. Then we discovered we were not alone and there were many of us.

Please, at the VERY LEAST, give us a hopeful time-frame so we can make plans and use of your products.

Lastly, I am still hopeful that one day I can use my late 2009 purchase properly. However, until that day my Virus makes no sounds and is a glorified blinking-light paperweight.

P.S. Marc, this is by no means any sort of attack or belittlement of you; you are Access' forum super hero and PK expert. You rock, it'd be nice if your employer followed suit.

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

MacBook Pro Dual 3.06 17", 4GB Mem, 9600M GT 512MB RAM

• let me just say something from my personal point of view: i'm conservative when it comes to software updates. i would never jump on a new OS unless i see a benefit. as for 10.8 - i cannot see a real benefit related to making music and therefore i'll wait until everybody has supplied compatibility updates.
    now let me say something from a company point of view: we do receive developer previews of future apple OS updates. that gives us a little advance but that's more like a couple of weeks. and there is no guarantee that something chances last minute. in other words, there is no way to guarantee that everything is working unless you hold the final OSX update in your hand.
    now, let's talk about your sync issues: i've installed 10.8 only last week on my laptop which i use for office works. please note that i'm not the one who's conducting all the tests. so far, with logic pro, sync seems fine. what doesn't seem fine is waking up from sleep and there is an outstanding issue related to gatekeeper (a new security feature in 10.8 ). please supply more info on what needs to be done in order to trigger the issues you've discovered.
    best, marc

• I completely understand your frustration but upgrading the OS on a computer you rely on so heavily for music production, before giving the OS time to reveal any problems out in the wild, is often not a good idea. I've been burned before by being an early adopter only to find that various bits of hardware and software don't work as they should. That's on both mac and PC.

It's why my studio mac is back on 10.6.8.

Where I think Access have made a mistake, is by not testing or reporting the issues (4.5.3 not working at all, 5.0 beta not playing in sync) and shouting very loudly that mac users should hold off upgrading to 10.8. They should have known this in time to get the word out before 10.8 hit the App Store. I'd be pretty annoyed in your situation too, but probably more annoyed with myself for needlessly upgrading to 10.8.

I suspect that getting OS 5.0 to work with 10.8 is their biggest priority at the moment and I can't see that a release version will appear without it being resolved.

It's not ideal, but as a temporary solution can you use your Ti over standard MIDI cables and audio?

Edit: Didn't see Marc's response. Sorry I've been a bit harsh.

• I agree with Marc,
    It would be foolish to upgrade platforms without researching and/or asking support questions about it's functionality.
    There are so many pieces of equipment in my studio that are in the same situation as Access.
    Therefore, why would I?
    I wouldn't compromise my working studio for an update. And wouldn't update until each and every individual component is tested and garauntee to work with the update.
    That's why forums are important.

• As I stated previously I am not defending my post; however I will update you with this: each and every other component in my studio is 100% happy and compatible with 10.8- which is why I upgraded (not to say I am not back up and running in 10.7.4). From my sound card which is an Ensemble to Logic and everything in between. I purchased the Virus to use its Total Integration software with Logic, not to have another stupid (by stupid I mean non-integrated/unintelligent) midi keyboard. I already have such a host of synths: from jupiter 1's to mini moog's to a pair of nord's and now a Virus which doesn't do what it's biggest (and frankly only) selling point was. I always check and am on all forums with related equipment which is why I posted my lamentation here after exploring that there were no offered solutions and being told to wait.

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von militantmind ()

• As I stated previously I am not defending my post; however I will update you with this: each and every other component in my studio is 100% happy and compatible with 10.8- which is why I upgraded (not to say I am not back up and running in 10.7.4). From my sound card which is an Ensemble to Logic and everything in between. I purchased the Virus to use its Total Integration software with Logic, not to have another stupid (by stupid I mean non-integrated/unintelligent) midi keyboard. I already have such a host of synths: from jupiter 1's to mini moog's to a pair of nord's and now a Virus which doesn't do what it's biggest (and frankly only) selling point was. I always check and am on all forums with related equipment which is why I posted my lamentation here after exploring that there were no offered solutions and being told to wait.

so did you get in touch with support re. the timing issues?
    marc

• - i cannot see a real benefit related to making music and therefore i'll wait until everybody has supplied compatibility uepdates.

best, marc

i agree with militantmind , unfortunately this second filter is very important in my genre, also i read soo many have the issue ,

not good ;)

someone fix this asap!

best

• Yes, I am in touch with support re the beta OS 5.0 desync/timeing issues... will post updates as they happen.

• Hello,

So after upgrading to the 5.0 public beta 2, I have found that it is useable as it does not desync everything virus in any of my Logic sessions. However I am still trying to iron out my sidechain (other post) issue. I am going to try 10.8.1 on my macbook and see if this second public beta works there at which point in time I will time machine backup my main workstation and proceed with the 10.8.1 upgrade (finally!).

Best,

• FINALLY...

Worked on my macbook, works on my main workstation.

Fully upgraded and able to finally use the advanced features of my other hardware (whose drivers fixed bugs and addressed other issues) alongside my TI2 in Logic and OSX 10.8.1

I am very very pleased.

Tremendous!

• Why would you want to use 10.8? I'm not having a go :) but there is absolutely no benefit to running music software under it as far as I can see. Don't get me wrong I love to have the latest OS/software etc so i dual boot my mac 10.8 and 10.6.8, but 10.8 on it's own? do you want the pain of everything being unstable all the time for the next year? :D