A VIRUS SOFTSYNTH LIKE WALDORF LARGO!!!

• There is no freeze tracks problem, just solo the track and bounce it as audio when you want to freeze it and then mute the midi track. You don't need a fancy freeze button just to freeze a track.

If anything it's the DAWs that would have to change if you want freeze to work with the TI.

• If you really want a freeze bear in mind it has to be realtime as that's the only way hardware can handle it. That being said there are 2 options. Sonar has a realtime freeze and Reaper has a realtime bounce-to-stems which is effectively similar

• I think u guys are missing the point of this thread...

+1 for software plugin version, and here's why:

1. Extreme portability (all you will need is your laptop)
    2. No wall wart / power cord and usb cord necessary
    3. Multiple instances of virus plugin
    4. Instances are freezable
    5 Tighter Intergration with your daw
    6. More stable, less audio artifacts and pops
    7. Faster gui updates.
    8. near ZERO latency.
    9. Unlimited channels for independent effects processing and routing
    10. plugin will never get out of sync.

• Yeah, but do you really think you will get the same standard of synth on the PC without it eating your CPU for brekfast.

Multiple instances my ass - think NI massive and add a couple of noughts on...

as powercore and the virus demonstrate, there are some things that are still best left to dedicated hardware (for now, anyway...)

• There is no freeze tracks problem, just solo the track and bounce it as audio when you want to freeze it and then mute the midi track. You don't need a fancy freeze button just to freeze a track.

If anything it's the DAWs that would have to change if you want freeze to work with the TI.

Exactly. And to add: It's not just a Virus thing. Very few (or no AFAIK... I really can't think of any) hardware synths can be bounced offline.

• As much as I like the idea of having a Virus VSTi, I can't see Access cannibalizing their own hardware products by doing a VSTi. The amount of cracks that would kill Virus hardware sales, and the margin dollars they would lose on selling hardware over software unfortunately I don't think a Virus VSTi will happen. Gosh I hope I am wrong!!!! I would love to see a Virus VSTi!!

Ken

• Exactly. And to add: It's not just a Virus thing. Very few (or no AFAIK... I really can't think of any) hardware synths can be bounced offline.

try using an analogue stomp box, compressor or whatever you like bouncing offline. it won't work. as for the virus, even though it looks like it should, it doesn't and unfortunately, this will not change for technical reasons.

best, marc

• try using an analogue stomp box, compressor or whatever you like bouncing offline. it won't work. as for the virus, even though it looks like it should, it doesn't and unfortunately, this will not change for technical reasons.

best, marc

Yeah, recently, I accidentally tried to bounce a mix offline which had an external reverb on it--the results were not what I was expecting and it took me a little while to figure out what went wrong. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid after I realized I did an offline bounce. :D

for Virus VSTi and here's why:

- It would make everyone who bough the hardware version left with a pretty, but useless, paperweight,
    - turning it into a VST would actually destroy it's value and perceived quality .
    - Access would become it's own worst enemy and competition - lowering their own hardware sales,
    -no matter the protection used, since it's the virus we're talking about, it would be cracked... which brings me to my next point;
    - every n00b wannabe producer with a freeware vst host would have it, use it and it's sound would become old news over night,
    - and finally, knowing access has some great minds in their corner (unlike some other hardware synth companies, I might add) I'm certain they will not release a VST, no matter how much people nag for it.

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• Maybe not a Virus, but an Access softsynth. For instance the Largo demo I've tried sounds similar to Blofeld, but it isn't the same, mod rates are slower and envelopes are not as snappy. I'm not saying cripple it, but maybe make it reduced in feature terms but still compatible in some way.

Just a thought

• Apart from the obvious shot in the foot Access would be giving themselves..

I think it would take an unreasonable amount of time to port the Virus TI to VST form,
    and the end result would almost surely be piracy of the new code, unless a lot of money was spent on new copy protection.

From the comments I've seen over the years, I suspect most people think theres a mini PC inside the Virus running VST code, but it's a hardware DSP synthesiser not a keyboard sized dongle.

• I've often wondered if they might release an FX vst pack so you can get the effects in your DAW, too. It might be a nice quick way of maximising the polyphony for some presets where the delay kills it, for instance.

• I do not think its a good idea.

1. People will crack the software
    2.. Everyone will use the virus

Having to buy the hardware makes the virus much more exclusive.
    I mean look at the massive vsti,.
    "Everyone" uses it, and most people use the illegal version.

• Just a couple of thoughts:
    - The e-Licenser technology of Steinberg has not been cracked and will probably never be cracked. So there's a way to avoid piracy.
    - I would definitely like a native VSTi/AU plugin. Of course, Access would shoot in their own foot if they made a native version of the Virus TI. But suppose a VSTi version of the Virus B would be available, that would not jeopardize TI sales and would even be something TI owners may purchase, because of the easier workflow, multiple instances, etc. The Virus B still costs somewhere around 350-400 euro on the second hand market, so a Virus B plugin for let's say 200-250 euro would definitely be an interesting product for a lot of people and would generate sales for Access in a big market that they would otherwise have no customers in.
    Just my thoughts though...

• Just a couple of thoughts:
    - The e-Licenser technology of Steinberg has not been cracked and will probably never be cracked. So there's a way to avoid piracy.

It has been cracked multiple times now, which means it probably will be cracked again. Only a matter of time. And unlike cubase, which is continually updated making the older versions obsolete, the virus needs to be cracked only once.

Zitat

But suppose a VSTi version of the Virus B would be available, that would not jeopardize TI sales and would even be something TI owners may purchase, because of the easier workflow, multiple instances, etc. The Virus B still costs somewhere around 350-400 euro on the second hand market, so a Virus B plugin for let's say 200-250 euro would definitely be an interesting product for a lot of people and would generate sales for Access in a big market that they would otherwise have no customers in.
    Just my thoughts though...

Virus B is the heart and soul of the virus, containing most if not all the core features and more importantly the "sound" of the virus. And while the Ti series has the new, experimental, oscillators types, one might argue that a VST version of the virus B would be more practical than a hardware version of the Ti, because having an "endless" supply of multiple instances would make it extremely powerful.

And finally, looking for ways to justify the selfish need one might have for a VSTi version by trying to rationalize and make it look like it's in Access best interest... I'm sorry but it's kind of lame. No offense intended, but if this decision really is in the company's best interest, I'm sure Access would have considered it by now...

Can't we just enjoy the only hardware synth that works as a VSTi without trying to turn it into yet another VSTi software synth that everybody and their mother owns? ;)

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...