Sound Quality Pros & Cons - Virus TI2 stereo outputs vs Virus TI2 plug-in settings in Abelton Live 8

• I've now used my Virus TI2 live for several shows with great success. I'm also running backing tracks through the Sapphire Pro40 with my macbook using Ableton Live 8 along with the Novation Launchpad controller.

As of now, I have the Virus running straight through a Radial Pro DI directly to the FOH separate from the tracks coming through the Sapphire Pro40.

My question is this:

What amount of sound quality would be sacrificed if I ran the Virus through Ableton Live 8 as a plugin/MIDI track along with the backing tracks I control with the Launchpad :?:

I'm aware there may be a conversion rate factor to consider but I'm choosing to utilize this forum before doing any extensive research which I'm never opposed to. Any feedback/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jaison

• With VC, the TI plugin, the quality (as in S/N ratio and losses) is as good as any digital connection. The problem is more with timing. Since the USB is not ideal for streaming, there is a need to buffer the received audio. This causes DAW->Virus->DAW round-trip latency that you will feel especially if you are plannig to play your Virus from a MIDI controller that is connected to your computer. You can enjoy the best of both worlds if you control your Virus from a DAW with the plugin, but all the parts output through the analog outs, or if you have a way to convert S/PDIF to audio with minimal latency, I suggest taking advantage of the Virus' S/PDIF out.

• Thanks FlabberBOB,
    I appreciate the info.

I now know how to utilize the VC while my Virus is connected via analog outputs, this is great for the studio but I'll have to use multi-mode live & not worry about VC TI plugin on stage until I evolve.

After reading through the forum, I understand this is a very touchy subject & has been for awhile. I spent days building, layering, & tweaking sounds specific to my live set in multi-mode, all custom FX, ready to go in succession, but, no way to use the VC TI plugin for multi-mode & I'm not going crazy with midi just yet.

Mastering the midi channels will be my next task, this seems to be the only way to essentially utilize what I'm doing in multi-mode but in sequence mode instead with VC up & still be able to have my Virus as an interchangeable midi controller to switch back & forth from my layered Virus patches to software synths open in midi tracks using Abelton Live by enabling the tracks to record via the Novation Launchpad.

This may just be for the sake of learning in regard to the full potential & capability of the synth; I'll probably end up using a separate midi controller on stage.

Thanks again

J