• Hello everybody,
    I want to make a growl bass (skrillew- first of the year)...
    I saw many tuto with massive, fm8...but nothing with the virus..
    If someone could help me, it would be great....
    I know for this sound i need some additionnal plug-in (homicide,wow etc etc). But how to get the right sound with my virus..
    Thanks a lot

• Hi there, I'm not sure how geared the Virus is for making Growling types of sounds, I think Massive does have one up on the Virus for that but the best tool for creating anything similar on the Virus would be to use the Vowel filter. You'll want to modulate the Filter with an LFO, please note because of the nature of how the envelopes work and how the Vowel filter works the Vowel filter cannot be modulated by an Envelope. The right work around for this would be to set an LFO in env mode so that it only does the one cycle..

In regards to oscillators I think saw tooth wave are a good start, I'm sure you might be able to get some interesting effects applying the same modulation on parts of a wave table osc also. I'm not at my Virus at the moment so I can't try anything out but off the top of my head they might be some starting points. With the Growl being quite an aggressive sound some distortion will probably be needed.

Another idea might be to modulate Low pass and High pass cut off filters with the same modulation, have them go in opposite directions, so that when the cut off for the low pass comes down the cut off for the high pass comes up and vice versa. Without having more of a play around I can't really attempt to help you any more there but if I was about to go to my Virus those would be the first things I'd try out before exploring different techniques, hope that's any use to you.

• If you want skrillex kind of stuff, forget about it, the virus is nowhere near the level of massive on those things. Or any really modern electro stuff for that matter..
    There are no modern mainstream electronic artists that use the virus for a reason. Its good for other stuff though.

Also dont forget that those kind of basslines are heavy on the production too, its not just a simple synth sound that does all these.

• I been trying this kind of stuff on the virus for a few weeks. There are many limitations, but you can get good dubstep bass sounds that sound different to the mainstream stuff, but still good.

Modulation is surprisingly one of the limitations, not just the filter sound. But, by just using the oscillators carefully you can get most of the way there. I've been using a modified sine from the wavetable on OSC1, a hypersaw on OSC2 and funky waves from the wavetable on OSC3 (like wave 41). Pitch sweep all 3 with Env 3 or 4 (OS5 only) or use the filter Env but it ties you down a bit. Filter sweep is kinda normal, SER6 with Filter1 only. And modulate some slight ringmod or something like that.

Wish I could use the vowel filter, but I just can't get it to sound right. Forget using an LFO on it though. You run out of LFO's really quick if you're using one as a delay for the wobble. LFO 1 as pulse in Env Mode assigned to LFO2>Cutoff1 works well but there goes all your LFOs!!! LFO3 can't really be used for much here.

It is probably better to use the Mod wheel to bring in the wobble. But that takes the Mod wheel away from changing the pace of the wobble... so better off just automating everything...

Careful thought on the use of velocity can help.

To be completely honest with you I'll probably just end up buying massive. But I'm deliberately holding off, because trying to make these sounds on the Virus teaches you much more about the Virus than you'd learn otherwise. Which is beneficial in the long run. Even if the sound you get out never quite gets there.

You'll still need pads and basses, so don't feel too bad : - )

• If you want skrillex kind of stuff, forget about it, the virus is nowhere near the level of massive on those things. Or any really modern electro stuff for that matter..
    There are no modern mainstream electronic artists that use the virus for a reason.

Sorry, but that is simply not true :thumbdown:

• Sorry, but that is simply not true :thumbdown:

Oh isn't it now? Why dont you post some of your work achieving those kind of results with your virus or anyone doing it for that matter. Or maybe any mainstream modern electro track that hasn't been done with sylenth1, massive or omni?

Cause i can name dozens that do and none that uses a Virus.

• Oh isn't it now? Why dont you post some of your work achieving those kind of results with your virus or anyone doing it for that matter. Or maybe any mainstream modern electro track that hasn't been done with sylenth1, massive or omni?

Cause i can name dozens that do and none that uses a Virus.

Dozens is a very small sample size.

• For the people who are interested, I wouldn't mind sharing patches and working on this stuff together to see how good we can make it.

Remember that these mainstream people tried something different one day, and it sounded cool. If we use the Virus to make these sounds, it might not sound exactly the same, but it might in some way sound better or newer.

I don't think copying something exactly is that useful anyway, from an individual point of view. I really like my Virus. At the moment I can't make these sounds, but I think there is something just as good if not better lurking inside. And you never know, maybe we are only an update away from being able to use the vowel filter for this kind of stuff. : - )

• thanks everybody for your answers,
    I don't want really make the same sound, but i like this kind of talking bass, it's pretty cool, as if a man spoke and i love it...
    i made hardcore since 10 years and i didn't Use any hardware synth or plug like massive, sylenth etc...but since a few month I try to made electro and it's really different of the few records i produce..
    That's why i search to learn the sound design and when i hear on a sound which pleases me, i ask for help has somebody to explain me how to do this sound, in this case the talking bass..
    If somebody has an example the would be with pleasure...
    Thanks

Sorry for my english, i'm french

• You can get "talking bass" by putting LFO1 in Envelope Mode and using a saw wave as shape. Then assign this (as unipolar) in the Mod matrix to the Freq-Shifter Freq. Then play with the vowel filter to start at the right point. It's not exactly skrillex... I think you might need to add some vocoder, but it's similar. A good starting point anyway.

I'm trying all this type of stuff at the moment. I plan to do some dubstep by just using the Virus, so we'll see how far we can push it.

• So this really isn't a skrillex bass, but it is a more modern sounding midrange bassy bit I made today just goofing around. Not groundbreaking by any means but might give you some ideas on what you can do to make some growls. Got a few of the ideas from posts in this thread.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13952265/Growl%20Bass.mid

(Play this from c1 - b1 octave - also i'd make sure you're monitors aren't turned all the way up)

There are no modern mainstream electronic artists that use the virus for a reason. Its good for other stuff though.

Also dont forget that those kind of basslines are heavy on the production too, its not just a simple synth sound that does all these.

I think this kind of reply is pretty ridiculous, I myself have achieved awesome dubstep basses with the virus, and frankly I don't even produce dubstep! I did it because I was curious much the same as the person who started this thread. Just for the record mate, you really seem like your trying to answer a question to which you have made none of your own research whatsoever, and, just because your dubstep heros doesn't use a virus ti doesn't mean it is not competent at producing growling basses and the like, AND, I have seen skrillex's home studio, and guess what my friend? He uses a virus, yes it is true he didn't have one in the beginning, but with all st money he's made, guess what he went out and bought! Yep, a Ti2 polar! Now I'm not saying that he uses it to produce those insane growling basses, we all know that's curtosy of massive, which is pretty awesome with its various wavetables and WT modulation possibilities. In-fact, if you must know, it is the wavetable "modern talker" that is responsible for most of the growling you guys seem to like and aspire to program, I can tell you it's not that hard, if you have massive, begin by using the wavetable "modern talker" tuned down a couple of octaves and modulate its WT position with any means possible, you can add other wavetables on top (tuned up) to get interesting results and then obviously there is the load of processing they do to these kind of sounds, multiband distortion, straight up distortion, ridiculous over compression/parallel compression and limiting, bla bla.

Now getting to the point, if you actually look at what's behind these growling bass sounds, (i.e. wavetables/wavetables modulation) the virus should be MORE capable than massive as it has soo bloody many, and also, so many deep controls to vary the wavetables formant, wavetable position, index, interpolation and many more interesting options, it also has a good amount of distortion capability, not that I'm too much a fan off the distortion algorithms in the Ti. Try it for yourself buddy, if you have a virus that is, because judging by your lack of information in your frankly naive response, you seem to be on here just for kicks.

Who cares if producer X doesn't use synth Y, that doesn't mean SHIT! All it means is you can probably get some interesting, and lo and behold unique patches trying to do something similar on a different synth, or possibly, a synth so incredibly powerful as the virus, something that I consider to crap all over my $100 copy of massive. That is of course if you know how to use it,

• Oh and to the creator of this thread, I got carried away, you should start simple if you want to make some growling sounds with the virus,

One oscillator, add second for sub harmonic content if needed.

I believe you need to find a wavetable called "robotix" it's not in the "wavetable" menu in the virus, but in one of the more sophisticated wavetable menus, ie, crazy harmonic content wavetables with different to the standard wavetable parameters etc.

Try modulating the wt position first, also modulation of the index of the wave can also get some interesting results, use a bit of noise and try using a filter with similar modulation to that of the WT position. This is really basic man, and it is off the top of my head, my studio is in another country to me right now, so basically I'm not next to my virus, but I hope I helped you. Hope you find something unique!

Edit: remember to tune it down as well, a lot of that nasty growl, vowel sounds are because wavetables a so complex in their harmonic content, much like the human voice, and if you tune the wave down, you are in the less bright territory, thus the wave is harmonically less complex, (but still much more complex than your average saw!)

PEACE BRO happy programming WUBWUBWUBWUB ERRRGHHHH

• Thank you, really...
    I'm going to try this...
    I was shure that's the virus could made it , but i'm beginner with it so if people says i can't make growl bass with it, i believe it...
    Thank you, bad luck you're not with your virus like that you could bring me an audio example...
    Thank you for your aswer..That confort me in my choice.

• Thank you, really...
    I'm going to try this...
    I was shure that's the virus could made it , but i'm beginner with it so if people says i can't make growl bass with it, i believe it...
    Thank you, bad luck you're not with your virus like that you could bring me an audio example...
    Thank you for your aswer..That confort me in my choice.

My friend, this is a forum. The first thing you should know is to take everything you read with a grain of salt, as there are probably a lot of people here who don't know what they're talking about, for all you know, I could be full of shit. But the lesson is not to come on a place like this expecting a definitive answer. The answer lies in you and your dedication to exploring your synths full capabilities, you will find the answer if you noodle and noodle until you get the right sound your looking for. It's true, those growling basses I more than certainly know your referring to cant be achieved on the virus, as they are from another synth, massive, the wavetables in massive are different to those in the virus, however, this does not mean entirely that you can't achieve something similar, or unique in your adventures with your Virus. Just take my word for it and do the research behind what makes the sound your looking for. In this case, wavetables, thus, go on and go through all the virus's wavetables and experiment, your not going to find your answer in five minutes, you probably won't find it in five hours, but with time, comes experience, and you will find your own, fully usable growl basses, and you'll wubwub your way to happiness. Lol, everyone starts where you are now, research, noodle, experiment, play. This is the key, not taking someone's advice on a forum, and completely dismissing the viruses capabilities in a certain genre or sound design. It all depends on your dedication buddy, not some dude on a forum.

• Also remember filter modulation dual filters gives you some awesome flexibility, band pass filters ar your friend, they can sound nasty, sweet whatever you want, also, there is a vowell filter you know, but it isn't in the filter section, pretty sure it's in the effects section under the freq shifter, I think! Remember. My virus is in another country. Just keep trying man, SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND MWAHAHA

• Another time, thank you...
    I've just some questions....before, i repeat i'm a beginner with my virus so my questions can seem stupid, so excuse me..
    Filter modulation is with lfo or with the new enveloppes??
    Dual filters are "par or split" not "ser4 or ser6" in filter section? I'm wright?..
    I began has to try....it's not win...but as you say, it will takes 5 hours...in my case 5 weeks...
    Thank you so much trying to help me

• Adding to what ozzlanda said...

At the top of the wobble or the growl, the main filters are open so the harmonics in the wave table oscillators shine through. Don't audition the wave tables with the filters closed or they won't sound cool. :)

I have been setting up my modulation first. Then auditioning the wavetables to match them with the vowel filter (which is lightly applied). Cycling through the wavetables after you have made most of your sound is a really good idea, I think. This way you can hear how the modulation effects each wave differently.

I hadn't thought about detuning though. Good point.

I can't wait to post an example, I think I've been getting some good results.

• thank you so much....
    but i've a little problem, i can't read or download your file...
    could you tell me how can i do to get your file
    thanks

Right click on the link and 'save target as', then put it in your folder with the other libraries? Here is a clip you can get a much better sound by playing with the mod matrix.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13952265/growl.wav

Is it possible to attach files to this forum?