• I just spent 2 solid hours playing with this one patch, and it has helped me immensely to understand how the LFOs work on this beast! :thumbup:

Thank you for posting it - I concur with others who have realized already that the TI2 is most definitely capable of producing some disgustingly wicked growling basslines. Especially when one dials in the mod wheel to control that vowel filter frequency and Osc 1 pitch. 8o

One thing - is it possible with just the LFO settings to have the LFO cycle back and forth, instead of just once through from start to end of the waveform, or does one need to use the Mod Matrix for that? (somehow - as in I don't really know how I would do that there either, but I imagine it has to be possible).

• One thing - is it possible with just the LFO settings to have the LFO cycle back and forth, instead of just once through from start to end of the waveform, or does one need to use the Mod Matrix for that? (somehow - as in I don't really know how I would do that there either, but I imagine it has to be possible).

Do you mean making the LFO loop forever instead of being just "one shot"? You need to turn off the LFO's "ENV" mode for that.

• Do you mean making the LFO loop forever instead of being just "one shot"? You need to turn off the LFO's "ENV" mode for that.

Right... I tried that first, and that causes the LFO to start its cycle at the beginning again. What I was trying to figure out how to do (mainly for the sawtooth wave, which has a high start value and slopes down to a low end value), is, once the LFO reaches the end, to reverse itself back to the start value again (and then continue this cycle).

I suppose I could eventually set this up in Live (although that is another tool I'm still learning), and for now just play around with controlling values manually with the mod wheel and the three assignable knobs on the TI2, but I thought it would be cool to be able to figure out how to do some more advanced modulating with just the LFOs.

• I think what you guys forgot about is the fact that Access products start at over a $1000 here in the US. Most kids making dub step / complextro are using cracked versions of soft synths and DAWs. For those making money in the industry that know the true power of investing in a Virus, are way ahead of the game.

Really, Sugar Bytes, made a soft synth, that makes mostly wobbles, and dub step type basses. AND what did they do ???? Put a damn video game in the middle of the programmer, like Space Invaders on a synth ?? Can you tell what there target market is ??? LOL

I would really would love hear music, using just 25% of the power some of these synths have right now. Its disapointing to me that most producers are making HITS, with presets and arps.

Lastly, I would LOVE to be on a dance floor in a huge club with proper sound while a track is being played, with Moog Basslines, Virus Pads, and Dave Smith Leads. It would probably make ears explode !!!!! Its a shame people waste so much time on mastering. Use real synths, with big sounds like the virus, problem solved !!

• I've finally managed to put a song on soundcloud that shows the Virus TI2 doing growl-bass and Dubstep.

All the sounds are from the TI except for percussion. The first half is old synth-retro, the second half is Dubstep. At about 2:09 just after the drop you can hear the TI do some decent growl-bass. None of the growl-basses were layered, they were just single patches, and the modulations were stored in the patch - not automated!

Hope you like it.

http://soundcloud.com/13thcolo…ruth-about-flying-saucers

• I've heard a lot of good dubsteppy bass sounds on the Virus, yeah, they're not Massive like, but guess what, it's a different synth, it has a different character. You really want skrillex's Growl sound? I currently find it boring and redundant even on his records, I mean it was great at first but it eveolved in some sort of a signature, and is not being used in a creative way anymore imho. I with my nowhere professional skills have made this
    http://soundcloud.com/neonbug/give-me-coke

might not be as aggressive as the stuff you're trying to go after but well... it's not actually proper dubstep, just stealing the concept for a slightly different track, and unfortunately I'm no pro.
    I made the whole modulation/growl thing sound a little higher in harmonic content, and it's actually 2 bass patches one over the other being independently modulated and automated, the thing which I find great for these things are formant and grain oscillators, sure they eat up DSP power, but for a very good cause :) sweeping the formants of a wavetable can give a very vocalish sound easily

• Having just got a Virus myself and looking at the forum for the first time I had to respond to this.

Firstly the Skrillex bass sound was designed on FM8 which means no modern talking wave forms anywhere in sight, Second, to get the sound a lot of other plugins were used, eq's, filters, maybe even a vowel filter, all were automated... Check youtube for endless recreations.

I have had my Virus since Christmas day and can safely say that it is more than possible to achieve the growl using the Virus, I have managed something quite close already... Many people use Albino to get that sound as well...

I have much to learn with the Virus but one thing for sure is it is not just a trance synth! I am a DnB producer and love this synth over everything, already! :thumbup:

Thanks.
    :)

• Firstly the Skrillex bass sound was designed on FM8 which means no modern talking wave forms anywhere in sight, Second, to get the sound a lot of other plugins were used, eq's, filters, maybe even a vowel filter, all were automated... Check youtube for endless recreations.

Isn't the "modern talking" waveform from massive?

• not to downkick the virus. but in my experience it's much easier to create a skrillex scary monster bass (or whatever that talking bass is called) in Massive or FM8

you need FM synthesis for this and the virus is not an FM synth. ;)

• I would like to chime in and refocus on what seemed to be the original thought behind this thread to make the sounds on a Virus TI...

Someone else mentioned that experimenting with your synth is how you really will understand it. With that said, I would recommend that you start by understanding and playing with the key ingredients for growling Dubstep / Techstep Drum N Bass type sounds...

Main Sound
    1. Heavy use of the Ring Modulator.
    2. A good basic sub type oscillator like a tri waveform.
    3. Modulation of squares with pulse wave modulation (lightly).
    4. Use high pass filters.
    5. Tweak the vowel filter.

Combined With Sub Patch
    1. Don't wobble the sub, just let it carry the same note an octave or two below the main sound.

That's how I make DnB anyways...at least for the kinda of sounds you might be looking for. Remember that with synthesizers there is no "right way" to make sounds only a "wrong way". What I mean by that is that if your sound is not exactly the same as someone else's, don't worry about it and just have fun expanding on YOUR sound pal.

I hope that helps.

• Still growlin'. But there's a couple of great sound sets available to get you started in the right direction. However, I found this threat just a couple of months ago and it helped me tremendously to learn the growling basics. Also worth to check out the other threads where Chewie shares his wisdom.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+