Sidechain for Cubase 5!!

• I still don't get this because I can sidechain all my vst instruments and my virus. Then again I'm using cubase studio 4.

I can also use my virus to be a sidechain trigger. I'm still very unsure what ppl want to do but can't.

if its a cubase 4 to cubase 5 issue i'm deffinatly not upgrading.

• It's not a Cubase 4 to Cubase 5 issue.
    What I want to do basically is rout an audio track into the Virus TI to use it's FX without pulling out cables. Just through the sequencer.
    When trying to change to the 3 outputs / 1 input mode I get the message that Cubase doesn't support side chaining.
    I'm really starting to regret having Cubase...

• This has nothing to do with cubase.

Uh, want to actually contribute something useful to this forum (for a change) and explain why you THINK that is the case?

Especially when Marc and access have clearly stated that it is due to Steinberg not implementing sidechain support for instruments? Jeez, there is even a thread acknowledging it on Cubase.net

:thumbdown:

• It's not a Cubase 4 to Cubase 5 issue.
    What I want to do basically is rout an audio track into the Virus TI to use it's FX without pulling out cables. Just through the sequencer.
    When trying to change to the 3 outputs / 1 input mode I get the message that Cubase doesn't support side chaining.
    I'm really starting to regret having Cubase...

Ahhh! yes, I've seen that message. Although you can sidechain any virus track using the cubase compressor, what you can't do is send audio not from your virus into the virus to use the virus's FX. Even if using the virus as your sound card because the audio input can't be activated.

Nothing to do with sidechaining really but that is what the message says, If I remember rightly. Unless it's because I'm wrongly thinking the term side chaining is implied only for compressors. When actualy any instrument/FX wired in a similar way could be classed as sidechained but now am just blabbering and don't really have a clue.

• side chaining, in the DAW world, means feeding a second audio source into a plug-in. that's why the second audio input is called and mostly labelled "side chain". the crucial point here is that cubase does not allow instruments to have side chain input whereas e.g. Live and Logic and other do. many people get confused because in cubase the side chain of an insert plug-in works fine.

here's link about side chaining, which exists since decades. i didn't suddenly come up when musicians wanted to copy the already overused pumping pad effect ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D…compression#Side-chaining

best, marc

• live has it's percs but I'll always be a cubase freak.

Went sonar for a while but soon came back. Steinberg do need to sort there act out though. Many tools are surpassing them and I can imagine them losing lots of custom.