Need HELP PLEASE !! :)

• Hey guys,

recently went out and baught the TI Snow, was all excited.. got it all set up via usb..

And its TERRIBLE..(for me at this point)

Massive latency issues.. heaps distorded, as it is i dont use the recommended buffer rate (i think it was 256).. I have a Focusrite 2i2 soundcard and im running a decent computer (baught it a year ago).

Its so laggy, and distorded and makes weird sounds.

What are my options guys?

I heard i can plug it directly into my midi keyboard(novation 49sl mk2) ...

Not sure what to do :(

Spent so much money..

Thanks in advance :)

• Im running Windows 7 64 bit, i have the latest software updates for the Virus, i baught the Virus today, so I installed all the updates.. And i am Running a Virus TI Snow...

Intel Core TM i7 950 @ 3.07 ghz
    8gb RAM
    I have a Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett Soundcard(latest drivers - downloaded from their website)

Running USB connection from snow into PC Deskptop.

Absolutley choppy at 256, its producing sounds of death.. (i dont run any plugins on that buffer rate for that matter)

Any more information required?

Cheers.

• Although there is no information about the routing in your system, there are a few simple things you can check.
    The sample frequency of both audio devices (Virus and Focusrite) better be the same (eg 44.1 or 48 khz). In most cases they need to be the same to hear anything at all.
    If that's ok, you can change the Virus to another USB port, to see if that makes a difference. You may need to uninstall excess midi drivers in a later stage. Info on that you can find on this forum.

• Hi there Coronado, how do i check the sample frequency of both the audio device and the Virus? . I have tried the virus in various ports, but what is strange is even VST plugins for example massive and sylenth1 will not run at 256 buffer rate.. My computer doesnt seem to handle it?

Although I seem to have good enough deskptop specifications to run it?

My computer is reasonably new (1 year old)

Thanks again . :(

• In the Virus enter the config menu and walk to the options until you see "audio clock". If it's set to internal better change that to auto. It will automatically sync to external audio clock signals. For me this works perfectly. This way you don't have to change anything in your focusrite. In the same page you can manually change the sample frequency as well if you like.
    An average computer today should be able to play these plugins you mention just fine. Sylenth1 for example is well known for its little use of resources. One of the best programmed soft synths around I think. What I usually do when I try out a plugin (like the Virus in this case) I use Savihost.
    Also my favorite tool when I want to jam on my Virus and need external presets or need to change RAM banks quickly.. A great tip also for people who want a standalone version of the Virus Control plugin. Search Google for Savihost and you'll find Hermann Scheib's website allowing you to download various freeware tools. Savihost and Vsthost (it's bigger and very versatile brother) are as good as they come. It's a small VST host that allows you to play one plugin without the hassle, foot print and 100's of settings, that can be wrong, of a DAW. No installation, just one exe file. Very nice: when you copy the savihost exe in the same directory as your plugin and change the name of the exe to the same name as the dll plugin file, it will act as a standalone version. For example, copy savihost.exe to your virus snow plugin directory and name it Virus TI Snow.exe. You can create a shortcut to your desktop. Now, when ever you double click this shortcut Virus Control will start as if it were standalone. You can do this with every vst plugin!

Now you will have very few settings to worry about. Very few resources wasted and can look for the problem without having to worry about something in your DAW that you may have overlooked. If all is well in this setup and your DAW still doesn't produce the expected result, you know you will have to check the settings of your DAW.

Hope this helps.

• *sign*

Still no luck...

I even reformatted to see if that fixed it..

I just cant run the buffer as low as 256 without crackles pops and all that rubbish.

Im running the snow into its osn USB3 port, and im not running a USB at all.

• What is your motherboard make and model? What chipset is used? What USB devices are connected besides the Virus? Note that there might be onboard USB devices that are connected to your USB hubs from inside your computer. You can find them using the "device manager" in [view]->[Devices by connection] mode. If you can upload a screen capture of all the USB branches expanded there, it could really help.
    There were some problems reported with certain USB3 ports and the Virus. See if you can find USB2 ports in your computer, or try to find more updated USB drivers (and for your motherboard in general) online. Also see if there is any way to "force" your USB3 port into USB2 mode.
    I'm using 256 sample buffer length with a 5 year old computer without problems, but 512 will give you professional results as well. There are also tips for streamlining your computer for audio production in this forum and all over the web.
    Hope this helps.

• Better look for a USB 2 port, sure your computer has some. I've read about incompatibility problems with some equipment and USB 3. Not experienced first hand though. Nevertheless it could be that simple.

BTW Flabberbob has a good point there. It is not as if the buffer NEEDS to be lower than 256 samples. When it works ok...

That being said I just remembered running into a similar problem a year back or so. Out of the blue, my Virus didn't behave as usual when connected to my computer. I checked my Computer for latency issues with DPC Latency Checker (freeware, google) and indeed it was showing strange peaks (spikes) I removed all external gear and one by one reconnected them. My wifi dongle seemed to be causing the spikes. I remembered I had updated the drivers recently. Reverted back to the old drivers and all was well again/

DPC Latency Checker is great for checking if your system will handle real time data ok and will help pinpointing the problem if there is one.

• The Motherboard is a Gigabyte Ultra Durable X58- USB3 . (I have tried USB2 ports) Ive tried quite a few ports.. also I can find updates for the motherboard but the USB drivers may be difficult?.

That's so weird dude how your computer is 5 years old with no issues. Really weird.

Anyway Ive uploaded some photos - Hopefully it give some leads.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/78499565.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/15999194.png/

PS Thanks for the enthusiasm with your responses at least its not doom and gloom just yet.

• I see no enhanced USB controllers in your device manager. That might be the problem. Go to the Intel website and look for the latest drivers for your (X58 ) chip set. My guess is, problem solved.

You're welcome btw! I love these puzzles. :)

Just checked the Intel website and they don't seem to provide drivers (anymore?). Gigabyte does, install the "Intel INF installation".

• Sorry Coronado,

Dam.. i was excited thanks for finding that for me, i installed the INTEL INF.

Im not having any issues with the latency in terms of pressing the key and the sound comes(what i mean is there is no delay but obviously the sound is horrid), its still just the CRAZYYYY static, pop crackle at 512 buffer rate.... And im using Sylenth1 at the moment to test. Im using OS4 Kostik btw :).

Fark thought we solved it Coronado lol :D>!

• Sh.. bummer. I too thought we had it.

Flabberbob is right, disconnect the Focusrite or switch it off. Just to eliminate the chance of it messing up your Virus's connection in any way. Just to make sure, disable the on-board sound chip as well (in the bios).

BTW, did you check for spikes, with DPC?

• I know Coronado so close but so far lol ! :)

"Could you download the DPC latency checker from this website, then send
    me a screen shot of the graph once opened for a minute or so while
    playing audio out at the same time? : http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml - especially try this at low buffer sizes like 256. " I will try the DPC now...

How would i disable the on-board sound chip on the bios?

Ill go ahead and try the DPC now..

PS This was happening pre Scarlett2i2 i had a UCA202 and the same thing was happening.. i dont think it has anything to do with the sound card - nevertheless let me try this latency check.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4549/27018600.jpg (latency check)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/49791195.jpg/ (IT DOES MENTION SOMETHING)

Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause dropouts in real time audio /or video streams. To isolate misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable various devices one at a time . Try network and W lan adaptors, monitors , internal sound devices , usb host controllers etc.

- Update

Did the latency check.. despite the readings I still had massive dropouts - whats unusual is the latency checker says my computer should be able to run audio without dropouts.

• Switch of on-board audio. In the BIOS, chapter "Integrated peripherals" will reveal the option to disable "Azalea Codec". This will switch off the on-board audio.

Although DPC shows everything in the green and your PC should definitely be able to produce streaming audio, spikes are never a good sign. I use a laptop at the moment, not very well tweaked and when streaming audio most is a little in yellow, but no spikes at all. So all is well. No problem. I could check all drivers to lower it, but since I have no problems I don't bother. When it aint broken....

Spikes can happen occasionally, that's normal. But when showing a constant and repetitive pattern something is messing with your system usually. It doesn't need to be the basis of our problem, as it remains green, it can not be excluded either however.

The usual procedure is, as stated in DPC, to disable everything that's not absolutely needed (wifi, lan, cameras, external gear, etc) in device manager and see if that helps. One after another you can switch back on, until the problem arises.. Now you know where to troubleshoot... In your case that's exactly what I would do. Virus connected as only audio device and sound card, headphones/speakers connected to the Virus. The Virus connected to a USB2 port and see what happens.. You can use DPC as a kind of monitor for changes in behavior..

This procedure I'd not only follow for improving latency, but when everything is well connected and working as it should, something is preventing you from having the fun you paid for, Well... let's find the MF'er! ;)

BTW, when first starting out with my Virus I too had problems getting things right. With help from Access we found the on-board webcam was the culprit.. switched off et voila. Just to let you know there is hope and you're not alone.

Good luck.

• Definitely switch off the on-board audio device. I did a little search on problems related to this motherboard. Although there are no significant issues reported, the realtec audio (Azalea) seems to be the basis of a lot of audio problems in Windows 7. It's also recommended by Gigabyte when using another audio device to disable it.

• OK, this MF'er is testing me LOL!...

I've been doing some meditation to calm the nerves... bloody computers ay lol.. only positive i take from this experience is more time spent with the family !! my wife is a bit shocked , asking me what's going on?

Anyway i disabled the Azalea Codec in the bios set up, disabled a lot of hardware which i didn't need running.. i also ran an update called Focusrite USB2 Drivers 2.4b3. - Restarted.. at ths MF'er is still winning the war..

I also tried to run the snow as the sound card.. put both monitor cables in the out's of the snow.. didn't seem to get audio however. Im still completely convinced its something to do with the desktop.. some setting or something rather hiding..

Also ran the DPC latency checker, its all green with an occasional yellow spike. I've been running this for 5mins and it doesn't seem to be showing the message like previously "some hardware may cause dropouts on this system" - something along those lines which I proclaimed earlier.

I also downloaded FL Studio (demo) of course to check if it was perhaps some settings in Ableton causing, but again .. couldn't hack 512 samples.. ..

Im just praying i dont have to buy a new computer .. I mean i spent enough on the desktop.. for some reason i keep thinking it might be because my PC is not good enough to handle it.. but then you i keep remembering your 5yo laptop can run at 512 samples .. hmmmmmmmmmmm very interesting..