Patch Blocks Others Playing at the Same Time

• I have an arrangement made with Patch A, and when it's playing at the same time as arrangements with Paches B or C, B and C are blocked (inaudible), so A blocks everything out.

Or alternatively, sometimes just the first click of Patches B/C is heard and then it falls silent as A is playing.

These are unrelated patches, is it a question of overloading the Virus somehow? I'm using FL Studio 10. Without the overhead of A, B/C are playing just fine.

• With VC running, the TI is capable (I think) of playing 16 patches in the same track at the same time. I don't use FL so I can't advice specifically but do you have the Virus Control running in FL?

Mac OSX Yosemite

• To me this sounds like voice stealing. Check the "battery meter" on the top right corner of the Virus LCD screen for each of the patches. The more stripes the "battery" has, the more resource-heavy the sound is, and therefore it leaves less resources for other sounds. You can make the sound lighter by reducing/eliminating unison, using less/simpler oscillators, disabling delay/reverb, etc. or, you can bounce any tracks you are happy with to audio, and not play them through the Virus.
    Hope this helps.

• Thanks, you're right, the patch is 4 bars. I eliminated all Unison (it was 8 before) and disabled Reverb/Delay and Distortion, and it's still 4 bars. Tried some other osc's and it's not decreasing. Anything else I should check?

• Just going from 8-unison to none should free up x8 resources. Are you sure you are looking at the meter for the same patch/part you are changing? Distortion does not take much resources.
    More resource freeing:
    Disable 3rd/sub oscillator.
    Disable noise generator.
    Formant complex oscillators --> formant simple.
    Complex modulation matrix routings.

• Thanks, you're right, the patch is 4 bars. I eliminated all Unison (it was 8 before) and disabled Reverb/Delay and Distortion, and it's still 4 bars. Tried some other osc's and it's not decreasing. Anything else I should check?

If the sound was at UNISON 8, then I'm not really surprised you ran into voice stealing. Simply math example: if you play a simple 3 notes chord with a sound at UNISON 8, the TI already needs to calculate 24 voices in one go. If the sound additionally has a longer amplifier release phase and you play another chord short after the first one, the unit already needs to calculate 48 notes and so forth.
    The UNISON setting is not reflected in the "patch complexity meter" at all, but the new oscillator models, the analog modeling filter, the third oscillator and the reverb will reduce the amount of available voices and if a sound causes another sound to cut out, this normally is simply caused by voice stealing.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Apologies to all in this thread, I was really showing my lack of knowledge and ignorance re my answer/suggestion earlier in the thread. I really should learn to ask more questions in an attempt to learn, and not try to answer them... :)

Sorry for my stupidity.

Mac OSX Yosemite