Routing of 2nd synth through TI, and subsequent TI output questions..

• Hi all

First time post from a potential TI keyboard owner...

I want to use the TI keyboard as part of my live rig. In order to cut down on the amount of gear/cables I need to carry around with me I would like to route the audio from my Korg Triton Extreme through the TI. I've done as much relevant reading as I can find, and I believe that I'll be able to send the audio through standard jack cables from the Korg into the TI. I'll always be using the TI in multi-mode (not aware of any downsides of this?) so I'll be able to assign a part of the multi as an INPUT from the Korg and have the sound OUTPUT mixed with the sounds from the TI via a single stereo jack pair from the TI, thus reducing my cabling. So far (hopefully), so good.

Now my two questions:

1. Will the headphone jack on the TI also output the sounds that are being fed to it from the Korg?
    2. Is it possible to send two identical stereo outputs (in addition to the headphones) from the TI? I'd like to send one stereo pair to the house sounddesk, and another pair to a secondary on stage mixer. Can this be done?

I hope my questions make sense. Please let me know if you would like me to elaborate!

Many thanks in advance for any replies (and thanks to all for reading!)

Rich

• 1. --> The headphones output is exactly the same as 1L+1R, incl. volume control.
    Regarding mixing the input, you have two choices: either mix the input directly by increasing the "input through" parameter in the config menu, or, create a separate patch to handle the input, in which case you would be able to apply effects on the incoming sound.
    2. --> One of the Virus stereo outs can be declared as a "surround" out. In the configuration of each part of the multi, it is possible to decide how to mix the part between the main and surround. I think you will get the desired effect by setting the main/surround mix to be in the middle for all your patches: connect your main out to one destination and your surround out to the other. Just remember that in this case, the input should go through a patch, otherwise there would be no way for you to mix it...
    Hope this helps.

• Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'd spent ages trying to decipher manuals and wade through various message boards and I was starting to go a little crazy!

Your answer sounds very promising. In summary, if I manage my patches/multis correctly I will be able to send 3 identical LR mixes (one via headphones and two via stereo pairs within surround sound config), where each of the LR mixes could include a combination of TI and/or Korg sounds depending upon what I'm playing.

This is GREAT news.

Flabberbob, thanks :thumbup:

• When reading, I could not help but wonder why you would want to choose the Virus over the Korg as the audio receiver. Coincidentally I use a similar setup with the Korg M3 sometimes. It is so much easier to setup and control through the Korg. Being a workstation the Triton is designed to do just that. Never used a Triton myself, but I guess the overall structure is not that different from the M3. There will be a full fledged mixer, that gives you total control over your all audio channels,

Advantage of this setup is that you can single out one or more Korg instruments, route them to a separate output connected to the Virus input and process or atomize... Without affecting the rest of your mix.

• Hi there

There are a couple of reasons I had. They may not be good reasons, but it made sense to me!

• My live set-up with the Korg uses the Multi set-up, and most of the multis I use already have the full 8 parts allocated to specific Korg patches. I can't face re-working everything!
    • I was not aware of a way that I could send from the Korg 3 separate LR mixes without introducing an additional external box. I'm really trying hard to minimise equipment. Every box/wire/plug I can get rid of helps, no matter how small!
    • I thought I might like to use the Virus effects/controls to manipulate the Korg output.

Since my initial post, I have now purchased my TI. What a beast! I'm still working my way up the learning curve (and I suspect I will be for a considerable time) but I have managed to configure a Multi/patch arrangement as per Flabberbobs suggestion, and thus I'm getting my 3 separate LR mixes out of the Virus.

One thing that I hadn't considered is that I don't think I will have a way of being able to turn down the sounds generated in the Virus, whilst leaving the Korg output passing through the Virus at the same volume. This is a shame (and I take your point that I could do this on the Korg if I switched my set-up around), but it's something I'm going to try and work around for the reasons listed above.

Of course, if there is an inventive was of doing this (turning Virus sounds down whilst keeping Korg sounds at same volume), I'm all ears!

Thanks again for your time reading my messages. :)

Rich

• I have managed to configure a Multi/patch arrangement as per Flabberbobs suggestion, and thus I'm getting my 3 separate LR mixes out of the Virus.

Happy to hear that it worked out.

being able to turn down the sounds generated in the Virus, whilst leaving the Korg output passing through the Virus at the same volume.

I have an idea which I never tried myself but might work - try assigning a "global" (meaning for the whole multi) soft knob for controller X (there are several possible options for controller number). In all of the non-input patches create a matrix routing from this controller to patch volume, and leave the input patch as is. Good luck!

Thanks again for your time reading my messages. :)

I personally prefer long elaborated messages over ones that go

Zitat

Nothing's working! #$^@ piece of junk!

• I have an idea which I never tried myself but might work - try assigning a "global" (meaning for the whole multi) soft knob for controller X (there are several possible options for controller number). In all of the non-input patches create a matrix routing from this controller to patch volume, and leave the input patch as is. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave this a try last night, but I couldn't get it working. No matter what I do, it seems the soft-knobs are only active on the part of a Multi that is shown on the display, regardless of the global setting.

Thanks for the idea though!

• Hmm... as a shot in the dark maybe you can make use of the ability to set the Triton track status to ext/ext2 etc. to generate MIDI commands to control the Virus, thus the only addition to your rack would be an additional MIDI cable...

Thanks FB. This has done it. I've assigned a control knob on the Triton to send standard CC07 MIDI messages to the Virus. I've de-activated the knob in respect of the parts of the Triton Multi so that turning the knob doesn't affect the output of the Triton, and also ensured that the Input Patch I have set-up as part of the Virus Multi does not receive the MIDI message, whilst ensuring that all the other parts of the Virus Multi do receive the MIDI message.

THANK YOU. I'm now ready to rock with minimal outboard gear and a huge reduction in cabling compared to my pre-Virus rig. Just got to sort out patches for all our songs now.....but that's the fun part!

:thumbup: