HELP 2nd attempt :(!

• OK, so some of you may seen my question a few months ago.

So I've bought the virus snow.. I have had it for 4 weeks now and ive packed it back into its box. I have not used it yet due to not being able to set it up properly.

My PC specs at the moment are the following:

Intel Core TM i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHZ 3.06 GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    64 Bit Operating System
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate
    My Motherboard is a Gigabyte X58-USB3

So basically I've tried everything to get my production running at 256
    samples or even at 512 so that my access virus snow would work, but i
    just cant seem to get it down to those low samples. If i do, there are
    crackles and all sorts of crazy st*t. What's upsetting is I've stopped
    making music for the past month because I just want to fix the problem.
    I've tried everything from emailing Focus-rite and virus and even
    Ableton with no success they kinda all just pass it on "There is not a problem with the DAW, or there is a not a problem with the Virus" - Yeah i know that but i need a hand :(

Im lstarting to believe that the problem lies within the computer, maybe its
    the motherboard or something frustrating that just doesn't work well
    with DAWs and music in general. (oh and Ive tried updating all sorts of
    drivers from the motherboard, to the sound card, to the USU drivers) -
    with no prevail. Ive DPC latency checks, ive sent Ableton reports to Ableton itself..

My question is, Im going to start fresh and build another computer(only because i feel i have no other choice right now????) and
    pray to god that everything works fine (cant afford a MAC i dont think)
    and try use parts from my current computer like perhaps the i7 and the
    RAM and my video card which is decent and build it this time ensuring
    that it will work on low samples so everything works with my setup.

Can anybody advise me on my options and what to do? And or help me build
    something that will most certainly work whilst using some of my current
    hardware in my current PC. I think the motherboard has to go? and get
    something that other people have no issues with?

ive also fixed the (@OP, Windows 7 has Core Parking Enabled by default. Follow Kermit the Frog's steps in the vid & Disable Core Parking.) ALL CPU's are running.

Also

I tried it in ASIO mode again and it just doesn't want to move from 442 buffer rate please have a look below
    View image: 442

Below is a photo of it running smoothly without ASIO with software instruments. http://s7.postimage.org/leqs8ojx7/4000.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.

Respectfully,

Danny

• Things you can still do with your current setup:
    Use USB2 ports instead of the USB3 ports, furthermore, use the "bracket" USB ports - the ones that connect to a header on the motherboard, and don't connect anything else to the same bracket.
    Use ASIO4ALL instead of the Focusrite ASIO drivers - this may lower the functionulity of the soundcard, but may put you more in control of the buffer size.
    Hope this helps.

• Things you can still do with your current setup:
    Use USB2 ports instead of the USB3 ports, furthermore, use the "bracket" USB ports - the ones that connect to a header on the motherboard, and don't connect anything else to the same bracket.
    Use ASIO4ALL instead of the Focusrite ASIO drivers - this may lower the functionulity of the soundcard, but may put you more in control of the buffer size.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions, just quickly would the USB's make a difference? Because at the moment I am not using any hardware VST's they are all software - with the same problems. ASIO4ALL - Good idea, I actually attempted this today. Yes I was able get down to 256 samples, however I could not seem to get the sound to come out of my monitors rather it was coming out of my 21inch 'monitor' screen instead. Also when you say use the 'bracket' USB ports, im not sure what you mean here - would that involve opening it up? God forbid hopefully not thats really my thing.
    Anyway, should the ASIO4ALL be able to come out of my monitor speakers which is connected via the sound-card?

danny, are you in touch with access support by email?
    marc

Hi Mac, i am indeed. I had been before, however I've opened a new ticket. - Lets see how that goes.

• have you tried running VC in something other than Ableton?.. there may be a host ton of issues due to that...
    my 2c.. try mini host.. (http://tobybear.de/p_minihost.html) its freeware and will allow you to run the Snow through VC.. if there are no problems there, then start again with Ableton

Ok - I'll try that and let you know how i get on..

I have tried VC in Ableton & Fruity Loops, but what I'm trying to convey is if you forget about the VC and virus for a moment, even sylenth1 wont run on the 256 samples or 512..

What's ironic is.. I had the ASIO4ALL running, i was getting sound from my monitors, then all of a sudden i couldn't get sound again from the monitors? Its just a bloody headcase this shit ay :(!

Nevertheless will try this tomorrow .. I've got the virus back in its box for the moment because if i cant get sylenth1 or massive, or any software vst plugin working on low latency.. then there is no hope for a hardware synth you know what i mean? :)

• I missed that..sorry.. so what is your audio card?.. you mention focusrite?.. so which audio device?.. I do know the scarlet series had some driver updates that has improved their performance and in other forums (sonar) those audio interfaces are highly thought of..
    i assume you are using massive in standalone mode?.. if so and you are having issues with 256 or 512 samples run this http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon ..it will give your machine a check for latency issues and identify those processes that need to be killed.. eg disable antivirus, disable wifi, use hogh performance mode etc..

• how long have you had windows installed?

What OS is the Virus running (you can tell by running the virus control center application)?

I would suggest reinstalling windows but not to your primary disk. This may seem a bit drastic but you will be able to eliminate every issue aside from a driver/hardware problem if you do. I would install windows to a hard drive that doesn't currently have an operating system on. If you don't already have one; I would suggest purchasing an ssd, though this has nothing to do with getting the virus working installed apps will load in an instant such as starting ableton live and using it within a second.

First please post your virus' current OS.

• Ariyahn, Re. ASIO4ALL, its configuration window shows you all the available WDM drivers, hopefully, your Focusrite is one of them:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/Screenshot_29.jpg]
    Re. bracket USB ports, you might have them already installed as the USB ports on the front side of your PC, or the ones on the expansion slots (near where your video card is, as opposed to where you connect the network cable). I just though when you said you are "building a new PC" that you were actually doing it with your own hands ;-). Anyway, the USB ports do matter, because USB3 backward compatibility is not straight forward with many vendors, and some ports share their root hub with on-board devices which give the Virus a hard time. Alternatively, you can disable some of those devices from the BIOS or Device Manager.
    Hope this helps.

• [Blockierte Grafik: http://s14.postimage.org/no3dfnjul/Untitled.jpg]

Ok so here is a photo of the results, is this good news? How would i change the settings that it asks? Updates for the BIOS? Is that the motherboard? It does mention buffer rates and cracks poppies and clicks, which is what i hear at anything below 600's.

The good news is that the program is telling you you have an issue... there is no need to consider anything drastic like changing daw, changing audio interfaces, or reinstalling windows...you simply need to use the information provided by latencymon to streamline and optimise your system.. there is a tab there that will tell you the delays caused by each and every process.
    As a starting point, simply ensure you have the latest bios, windows updates, and driver updates for your entire system, disable wifi, disable antivirus and run latencymon again.
    For example..usbport.sys has a big delay.. so with a usb bottleneck you will have issues... your 2i2 needs its own port.. the port should not have selective suspend on etc etc..
    So, for a good read and tips on windows optimisation read this (http://www.native-instruments.…ight=windows+optimisation)... its a long thread, and there sure is some crap in it, but there is a lot of discussion on the topic with some great tips... I am sure that by following the data provided by latencymon, coupled with some research and those tips you can get your system running with acceptable performance..

• Ariyahn, Re. ASIO4ALL, its configuration window shows you all the available WDM drivers, hopefully, your Focusrite is one of them:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/Screenshot_29.jpg]
    Re. bracket USB ports, you might have them already installed as the USB ports on the front side of your PC, or the ones on the expansion slots (near where your video card is, as opposed to where you connect the network cable). I just though when you said you are "building a new PC" that you were actually doing it with your own hands ;-). Anyway, the USB ports do matter, because USB3 backward compatibility is not straight forward with many vendors, and some ports share their root hub with on-board devices which give the Virus a hard time. Alternatively, you can disable some of those devices from the BIOS or Device Manager.
    Hope this helps.

So basically man i need to get the 2i2 its own port? for the
    .usbport.sys to improve? Also its soo weird but sometimes ive got sound
    coming from the monitors sometimes i dont? its really odd. But ill
    update the BOIS - but i have all ready updated all these things but ill c
    if anything is outdated.
    For the momment the ASIO4all is running on
    512 samples, but yesterday i wasn't getting sound seems to work
    sometimes sometimes it doesn't.