SPDIF connection advice please

• My newest Audio device (Saffire Pro 14) happens to have SPDIF in/out connections and I am considering connecting the TI to this. Can someone please advise me of what signals are sent on the SPDIF and also, do I simply connect the SPDIF out from Virus to the SPDIF in on the Saffire Pro14?

Many thanks.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• a) afaik spdif mirrors the main stereo outs (outputs 1L, 1R)
    b) yes, virus spdif out to saffire pro spdif in.. note: you will need to set spdif sync to external in the saffire so that it will sync to the virus

My newest Audio device (Saffire Pro 14) happens to have SPDIF in/out connections and I am considering connecting the TI to this. Can someone please advise me of what signals are sent on the SPDIF and also, do I simply connect the SPDIF out from Virus to the SPDIF in on the Saffire Pro14?

Many thanks.

• Excellent, many thanks.

One further question: do I have to purchase two SPDIF cables... one to go from the Virus SPDIF out -> Saffire Pro14 SPDIF in and another to go from Virus SPDIF in -> Saffire Pro14 SPDIF out...?

Or, do I just need the one cable from Virus out?

Thanks

Mac OSX Yosemite

• you do not need two cables to sync the two systems..so if you are just recording the virus one cable. if you wanted to use virus as an external fx processor then two :)

• Personally I prefer my audio device (Safire in this case) to be the master (to control the sample rate) in these setups. Most audio devices can be controlled easy through their control software. If you set the Virus to auto or external sync, you will never have to worry about that again. Even when you open a project with a different sample rate, the virus will automatically follow your audio device. The other way around (as described earlier) you might need to do that manually.

• Personally I prefer my audio device (Safire in this case) to be the master (to control the sample rate) in these setups. Most audio devices can be controlled easy through their control software. If you set the Virus to auto or external sync, you will never have to worry about that again. Even when you open a project with a different sample rate, the virus will automatically follow your audio device. The other way around (as described earlier) you might need to do that manually.

Many thanks for this advice. I wonder could I ask another question please.

If I wanted to use the Virus as an effects processor and feed a signal into it... can I somehow route one of the inputs from my Saffire Pro14 through to the Saffire SPDIF out (which subsequently is connected to the Virus SPDIF in) and then use the Virus to mess with that signal?

I tried this yesterday but got no joy - not sure if I was doing it correctly or if it isn't possible. I did change the input in the Virus config panel to be from SPDIF rather than Input L+R, but changing any of the parameters on the Virus didn't result in any noticeable change in sound.

Any advice on that please? Thanks

Mac OSX Yosemite

• I am not familiar with the Safire. The easiest procedure is to set up everything using the analog input first. When that works, you switch to S/PDIF in the Virus menu. If there's still no dice, you know there's something wrong with your digital setup.