TI2 features only available through the editor

• Hello forum..

Over the years, I have owned every virus made up to the TI. Unfortunately, the original TI software did not play well with my computer system and I sold it. Now I am reading about the TI2 and the features in OS5 that are coming out (envelopes!) and these are features I have wanted since the original virus! I am excited!

I do, however, have reservations. Based on my prior experience, the integration part of the system didn't really work very well. The latency on it was unworkable and the system crashed my DAW regularly. Also, I was disappointed that certain features required the editor to have access too which made them essentially nonexistent to me. With that in mind, I have a few direct questions:

1. Has the stability improved? My primary DAW is Ableton Live 8.3 running on Windows 7
    2. What features in OS5 are only available through the editor software? If I pay 3k for a synth with certain features...I want to be able to access them!

Thank you in advance,

-Tony

• I'll start from the second question: The only feature that is not available without VC is the 3 USB outs. All the rest is available, although for some (such as the new envelopes) there is no dedicated knob, and some menu tinkering is needed to reach them. If you want immediate access to them, you can either assign a soft knob or get a programmable MIDI control surface.
    Regarding integration, counter-intuitively, the older your software is (OS and DAW), if it is capable of supporting the Virus, you have better chances at integration because all the bugs have been ironed out. Every new release/update comes with its own quirks and it takes Access some time to address them properly. If you are one of those who update their SW once an update is out you are bound to get into integration problems. Latency issues are usually the more straight forward ones, once you know how to use VC's "live" and "direct monitoring" modes and your DAW's delay compensation.

• Well, for the way I work, I will probably not even install the software plug in. I work mainly with hardware and only hook my synth's up via MIDI to my workstation. I play almost everything live.

My worry is having certain features I can't get at without the editor like there were before, specifically the arpeggiator pattern editing or I think certain oscillator parameters in the original TI.

What exactly is section locking?

• Oh, right - user arp pattern isn't available as well. But if you can get your hands on a control surface that can be programmed to send sysEx messages, you'll be able to do this and more.
    Section locking, on the other hand, is the ability to keep groups of parameters untouched, while browsing through patches. For example you can use it to find the best sound to use with a certain arp.

Zitat

What exactly is section locking?

Section locking, on the other hand, is the ability to keep groups of parameters untouched, while browsing through patches. For example you can use it to find the best sound to use with a certain arp.

Intrigued by this, I found a video on the Support page that gives a very clear explanation of Section Locking. Noisetheorem - this is probably worth a quick look.