Changing Multi Program and individual multi patch together from external synth

• Hi everyone,

I'm a very happy new Virus owner and I'm trying to get the Virus integrated into my live stage setup. I'm currently running the 5.0 beta O/S on the board so i'm not sure if my problem is related to a potential O/S bug.

I'm using the Access Virus in a live environment with a Roland Fantom as the midi controller. The Fantom does not appear to allow me to generate SysEx messages out to my external gear so i can't do a single->Multi mode change. Due to this, i'm working full time in multi mode including when i only want to play a single voice, rather than a layered/split sound. I have the Virus setup so that the Multi Mode will change programs with patch changes and here's where things get tricky.

In the most basic use case, i want to switch from one multi to another (layered/unique splits). I have the Global Channel set to 6 and i can perform these patch changes and everything works great. Now, rather than creating a unique multi for every song where i want to play a single voice i made a generic multi called "Single" and what i'm trying to do is send a Program change down channel 6 (which switches the multi program), followed by a program change on channel 7 which would change the patch of channel 7 on this generic multi (channel 7 part is the only part enabled).

This seems to work about 70% of the time. The Multi program change works 100% of the time, but whether or not the patch change internal to the multi works is unreliable. My assumption here is that i'm running into a race condition where its taking the Virus some time to respond to to the Multi Program change and then the patch change within comes way too fast and it doesn't always catch it. My current solution is just making unique multis for single voice, which is not the biggest deal in the world, but not my preference.

Does anyone have any experience/comments on doing something similar?

• Which fantom do you have?.. i have the Fantom G you can create sysex messages in microscope view in phrases.. or you can record sysex events into the sequencer and then place them on the pads..
    I will be pretty busy for the next week as there is a storm coming (Sandy) but can help you work this though by testing at this end later (if its an FG you have)

• I have the Fantom G as well, but i was looking more for a way to create a SysEx that automatically dumped when i selected a Live Set. The problem is that for every single Live set i have, i run the Pad Mode in a different mode so I'd have to do a lot of hopping around to send the SysEx down. In this case, its easier to go about it with my bank of multis.
    Although, i didn't know i could write them out in the microscope view - i'll have to take a look at that.