New Virus TI2 owner

• Hello all, first post... Got myself a Virus for Xmas, and im pleased although also little put off by it , hoping that goes away as i familiarize myself with it. I have a nordlead 2 and a korg prophecy for many years, so im not really new to synthesis, but this thing has A LOT of parameters. lol

Using it in ableton Live 8. I wish there was a way to split the 16 sounds on individual channels and process them in live individually. I am able to make midi channels but the audio triggers out only from the Control strip so any processing affects all virus channels. Any tips on this? I suspect there might be a way around this by using some of the 3 outputs , however my soundcard is out of inputs so im screwed unless i want to remove some other gear..

Anyway, about to start watching the bootcamp videos and see if they give me a little insight. Also , i didnt get a reference manual in my box, only the quick start book... what s up with that? ! wondering if i were supposed to have a physical manual...

Anyway any tips as far as getting to know this synth inside out, as i plan to , would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

• Your wish to actually output 16 independent parts is a very common request. Unfortunately, even if it were possible, the Virus's polyphony is too limited for that to be of much use. I'm currently working on a 12-part project, and I started running out of notes on the 8th part.

Anyway, it is at least possible to use Virus Control's routing options to send 12 separate parts (using both USB and analog outs), but I have not figured out a way to handle the USB stereo pairs as separately-processable channels in Ableton Live. I got it working pretty well in Cubase with a bit of routing magic. Honestly I've completely stopped using my Virus in Live because it's such a dog there timing-wise. Timing's much tighter in Cubase.

(As far as the analog outputs go, Live is actually a little more flexible than Cubase... the USB stuff's the problem. At least it stumped me.)

• I wish there was a way to split the 16 sounds on individual channels and process them in live individually.

I just want to stress that the Virus sends its return audio over USB on (up to) 3 stereo pairs. Within the Virus part routing is configurable.

I have not figured out a way to handle the USB stereo pairs as separately-processable channels in Ableton Live.

Reserve 3 audio tracks. Go to the I/O section where you choose "Audio from" for them and select the VC instrument track. Just below it there is a chooser that lets you refine your selection - besides pre/post mix and FX you have access to individual sub-channels. I have a feeling that the choice of 3x2 outs has something to do with 5.1 surround, rather than channel isolation.

i didnt get a reference manual in my box, only the quick start book...

A PDF manual was installed along with the Virus SW, it can be accessed by going to the program group or by clicking the (?) button on VC. Be sure to read the addendum files as well - the manual itself is seldom updated.
    Hope this helps.

• hi weblogik ,

you have to see this.
    i own a ti2 desktop since summer and i switched from fl studio to ableton because of the worse routing options in fl studio (atomizer won't work in fl studio).
    i also had the same problem.
    my ti2 could not play 16 sounds at the same time......but this movie helped me a lot.
    this man give me an wolkflow that works!!!!
    he does this on a virus snow but this works on dektop also.
    and if this is not working for you.....sorry virus can't play 16 channels at the same time!

Access Virus TI Snow workflow in Ableton Live

ps the best wishes for 2013 :thumbup:

• I just want to stress that the Virus sends its return audio over USB on (up to) 3 stereo pairs. Within the Virus part routing is configurable.

(With the caveat that I work in Logic, so specific details will be a bit different for you.)

As flabberbob said, you can split the audio across up to 3 stereo pairs over USB, or 3 analog stereo pairs. When I first got the Virus, I too was frustrated at the seeming limitation. But once you get it integrated into your workflow, I think you'll see that it really is a non-issue.

My current default is to round all the Virus audio over USB channels 1+2, and I also have analog cables from the Virus analog output 1 pairs to my sound card. When I'm working on a part, I'll compose on a track specifically assigned to that MIDI channel, and I'll listen via the USB audio connection. Then once I'm done, I use direct output feature on the Virus (the 'D' in the Virus plugin - check your manual) and I manually bounce that track to audio, which I record to a new audio track. Then I do all my audio processing on that audio track.

Once I've bounced it to audio, I mute the MIDI clips and hide the MIDI channel, so it's not in the way. Rarely do I find I need to go back and re-do things, but if I do, it's easy to just delete the rendered audio sections, make my changes, re-bounce. Since all the processing is done on the audio channels, not the Virus MIDI channels, it only affects those specific sounds.

There are plenty of different workflows, but this is what I've found works for me and is efficient. It also allows me to make probably overly-complex sounds, since I can dedicate the entire Virus CPU to one channel at a time.

This has been discussed ad nauseam on the forums and elsewhere, so I'm sure you can find more specific info with some searching. Welcome to Viral heaven! :thumbup:

• Hi all, i apologize for making a first post and never replying to you guys who took the time to answer / help, however it seems my notification settings are not on so im just reading now.

So, thanks :)

I've now had the virus for about two weeks , i know my way around it pretty well although obviously will be a while before i can program it the way i want to.

Not clear about one thing... What does 3 stereo pairs over USB mean? I would assume it means that it bypasses the sound card and shows up in the sequencer as virus 1L1R 2L 2R 3L3R or something similar?
    I have not had a chance to check flabberbobs explanation in live but will sure check it out

Can someone elaborate? thanks!

Also any patch creation tutorials out there that are worth checking out? (virus specific not general synthesis)

Thanks and Happy New Year, will make a point to start checking out these forums they seem a bit slow but probably good info :)