Virus analog outputs volume

• Hi all!

I've recently purchased a virus ti 2 desktop and i am testing it. I would ask about the volume of the analog outputs when using virus in standalone mode (no virus control plugin). I found that using the INIT patch, on cubase meter i got -28 db with volume knob in the middle position, and -16 db with volume knob at maximun position. Someone could say me if these values are normal? I have just few days to send virus back for a replacement in case there is something wrong.

ps: here i have upload 2 small samples, one with volume knob in the midlle position and one at maximum position: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tn3o4b

Really thanks in advance for any info on this!

• I have the TI2 desktop and in my own experience the analog outputs are pretty hot; noticeably louder than my other instruments. They're balanced outputs, if I recall right, and I'm using TRS cables to connect them to my interface, which has balanced ins. I actually had to change the line level settings of my audio interface to prevent input clipping on the Virus ports it was so loud.

I don't have db measurements of my init patch, but for what it's worth I always have the volume knob pegged on all my external instruments.

• Previously i had a virus ti 2 keyboard, and i remember outputs hot. On this ti2 desktop version it seems the volume is pretty lower, the sound is ok, just the volume is lower.
    I can't clip my audio interface inputs with this desktop and a loud patch. I don't understand if it the virus is bugged or not :\

• Previously i had a virus ti 2 keyboard, and i remember outputs hot. On this ti2 desktop version it seems the volume is pretty lower, the sound is ok, just the volume is lower.
    I can't clip my audio interface inputs with this desktop and a loud patch. I don't understand if it the virus is bugged or not :\

the desktop and the keyboard share the same main board and have the same specs.
    best, marc

• On my setup, the Init patch, played at 127 velocity (this might not matter, as the Init patch has a Velocity->VCA ENV of 0) with the physical volume knob turned all the way up peaks at -27.9dB in my DAW's input channel, and -39.9dB with the volume knob turned to the middle. This is with my interface configured to have the Virus audio outs coming in at +4dBu, which is my normal configuration.

If I set the Virus ports on my interface to -10dbV, the Virus channel in my DAW peaks at -26.7dB with volume half way, and at -14.8dB with the knob all the way up. This is close to your values of -28 and -16, respectively... and it's actually too loud! The Init patch itself is not very loud or dynamic or bassy, and you usually do a lot more with your Virus than play a single note. You need a lot of headroom for this thing.

All current-model Virus models (except the Snow) have balanced outputs that are rated at +4dBu anyway.

Anyway, don't worry. Your Virus is working just fine.