Virus TI - can I use Virus Control together with analog outputs of the virus? Virus control only for midi and sysex - audio coming from analog outputs of the virus? Is it Possible???

• Virus TI - can I use Virus Control together with analog outputs of the virus? Virus control only midi and sysex - audio coming from analog outputs of the virus? Is it Possible???

Hi, I just purchased a Virus TI. I didnt even know that even the audio is routed via the USB cable into the sequencer - thats really cool - but my old Computer is too slow for that work.

Is there a way to use the Virus Control Plugin together with the analog Outputs of the virus for the audio - using the Virus Control only for Midi, Sysex, Automation, library, etc. and the audio comming from the analog outputs from the virus?

If yes, what are the settings?

I´m going to buy a new computer soon, but I would like to find a solution that lets me work with the virus control in the meantime.

Thanks!

• Yes it's possible.
    From the common page of VC, you can select for each part a destination, which can be a mono/stereo USB/analog output.
    There is only one problem - your DAW might want to compensate for the USB round-trip delay (even though you are not using it), which might cause the analog outputs to play their sounds earlier than everything else, so either you turn off delay compensation for the VC plugin (only!) from within your DAW, or, when not recording your live playing on the Virus, add a 4096 samples delay on the Virus return tracks. Also setting VC's USB mode to 1 out / no in might reduce USB bandwidth and increase MIDI accuracy, since the audio data is sent over USB even when it is not used.
    Hope this helps.

• Thanks, that answered my question perfectly !!!
    It seems to work fine - but I didn´t try recording and playing back more tracks - so I can´t say anything about timing problems for now. I only tried playing live for now.

I have one more question about what you wrote:

>There is only one problem - your DAW might want to compensate for the USB round-trip delay (even though you are not using it), which might cause the analog outputs to play their sounds earlier than everything else, so either you turn off delay compensation for the VC plugin (only!) from within your DAW<

Can I turn off delay compensation for the Virus Control Plugin also in Cubase? If yes, how and where?

Thanks!

• I don't know the specifics of cubase, especially without knowledge of the version you are using. But try looking at the configuration available from the virtual instrument track / plugin window and look for a place where you can disable delay compensation or override it with a manual value for the VC alone. Changing a global setting (e.g. "constrain delay compensation") is not advisable as it may screw up other effects and instruments that work fine with the automatic delay compensation.

• It seems that in Cubase 5 there is no more the possibility to deactivate delay compensation for individual plugins or individual tracks.

Anyway, routing the audio of the Virus TI to the analog outputs while using the Virus Control, should be more easy to do - as this is a very important professional need. For example I have various high end compressors and a high end console - I like to send the audio of the Virus through this gear before recording it to the hard disc. So there should not be any timing problems.

Is it possible for Access Music to optimize the Virus Control and Virus firmware to make this kind of application more reliable specially in timing? There could be a soft button in Virus Control which lets you control and monitor the plugin delay compensation - is such a thing possible? If yes - this would be a great software update...

I just bought a new computer - so I will be able to use Virus Control without problems. But if I want to route the audio to the Virus analog outputs there will still be these timing problems - lets see, maybe I can fix it in time...

• It seems that in Cubase 5 there is no more the possibility to deactivate delay compensation for individual plugins or individual tracks.

Nor on any DAW i have personally ever seen.. it's either on or off globally.

Logic/Cubase/Ableton/ProTools/S1 all behave this way.

Necro bump but I myself was looking for the info of the OP.. cause pro tools runs best for me at 128 samples, which means virus through the USB is 256 which is too much to play "live". I can't run pro tools at 32 buffer like I did logic, it's just too stressful on the computer.

I only want to monitor the virus through the analog outs when i am playing with my keyboard to record a midi part.

The actual bouncing and playback can all be set to USB after the fact as far as I am concerned, so everything bounces nice and sample accurate, without a need to record the audio.