Virus in Live not playing very nice on iMac

• Hello, i have a new Virus TI2 polar and as such im Just now reading up on some of the issues these machines can present.... i have a27 inch iMac 2.8 ghz i5 running Ableton Live 8. I have had my virus just sound like TOTAL DONG while going thru the patches, the best way i can describe is slight distortions and feed backs with strange modulations going on, almost sounds like the synth has received a bunch of midi signals that turned down a bunch of amp knobs . I know this is a real crap description lol, but on some patches it subtle enough to almost not notice, where my reaction might just be like "That patch sucks, next".

Yesterday i downloaded the Charlie May soundset, and realized the issue (although i cannot always duplicate it) seems to be when the live sequencer starts. Playing a nice C chord , big breathy pad; Ok Ready to record Hit the C chord and now it sounds like a no sustain low decayed lfo struggling garbage.

So read up on the forums a bit and see that these imacs have an internal usb hub (im not sure if thats the right terminology) and unplugged everything from my imac except the virus, restarted live and it seems that fixed it. I wont say NOW IT WORKS PERFECTLY because i just have no used it enough like this to say that there are no problems, but im wondering is this the way it is? I have an Akai Apc 40 and a USB midi port that have to run alongside the virus. Do these powered USBs help the issue?

I ask because i did notice that the vast majority of the posts were on older versions of the OS plug in.

Also im about to upgrade to one of the new 27 inch imacs.... those are all usb 3.0 ports i believe. Am i setting myself up for trouble? I just paid $2500 for a new ti2 polar, i really never expected to run with issues like this on such pricey synth :(

Please any advice would be appreciated

• I ask because i did notice that the vast majority of the posts were on older versions of the OS plug in.

This is a HW issue that cannot be bypassed by SW. It is described in detail in the setup manual that came with your installation.

these imacs have an internal usb hub

Actually they usually have more than one which is why there is still hope - connect everything so that the Virus has a dedicated internal hub and everything else shares the other hub. Use the system profiler utility to see what you have on hand.

• i REALLY appreciate that last reply, that makes total sense and i was not aware of the system profiler thing thanks for the headsup!

This is a HW issue that cannot be bypassed by SW. It is described in detail in the setup manual that came with your installation.

Actually they usually have more than one which is why there is still hope - connect everything so that the Virus has a dedicated internal hub and everything else shares the other hub. Use the system profiler utility to see what you have on hand.