advice for install on new (finally) laptop!

• Hi All,
    for several years, I've been without a true music production rig... I've limped by using a P4 that was made of wood and had a crank on the side ;P
    Anyhoo..
    It's been so long that I do not rightly remember:
    1- if the download of the latest OS(Virus TI Installer 5.0.2.01 for Windows ...) will install everything necessary for a fresh installation of my Keyboard Virus TI (Gen 1) to a new system... (I assume it will..)

and...

the last system I had was 32 bit.
    I am now running a machine that has Win 7 Home Premium 64bit OS.
    I do intend to stick with Ableton Live 32 bit for my main production SW... but the question is this:

While my *system* is 64bit and I'll be running a 32bit program mostly...do I need the 32bit or the 64bit installer?
    Again, I would assume that the drivers are determined by the system OS rather than the type of production SW...HOWEVER... I would like the 32 bit Live to see my "64bit Virus" vst ...and I have heard that is an issue: the 32 bit SW will not recognize or run the 64bit vsts...

I've been doing electronic music for since God was a boy but "being out of the game for 2 years has taken it's toll on my knowledge base for *this* sort of question... so I come to you all for sage advice ;)

Thanks for sticking with the thread this long if yer still here!
    bb

• While my *system* is 64bit and I'll be running a 32bit program mostly...do I need the 32bit or the 64bit installer?
    Again, I would assume that the drivers are determined by the system OS rather than the type of production SW...HOWEVER... I would like the 32 bit Live to see my "64bit Virus" vst ...and I have heard that is an issue: the 32 bit SW will not recognize or run the 64bit vsts...

You will need the 64bit version, if your OS is 64 bit. You can run any 32bit program, vst (well most) in compatability mode in windows 7 if need be. Installers will look at your OS version before installing anyway, however, your 32 bit OS wont see a 64bit application/vst unless you install that particular software as a 32bit version... so you cant go wrong... will either work or not 8)

• You will need the 64bit version, if your OS is 64 bit. You can run any 32bit program, vst (well most) in compatability mode in windows 7 if need be. Installers will look at your OS version before installing anyway, however, your 32 bit OS wont see a 64bit application/vst unless you install that particular software as a 32bit version... so you cant go wrong... will either work or not 8)

Thanks a bunch, muzikman2008! That does make sense ;)
    ...now...I just have to figure out which is gonna be the best USB port to hook'er up ;P

• I really wish the Access site would clarify this, because it comes up frequently (and I've even had the question myself, a couple times).

The 64-bit installer will cover all your needs for 64-bit Windows, and in fact the 32-bit installer won't even run on 64-bit Windows (it will warn you that it's 32-bit only).

But the downloads page could be a lot more clear on this point, if only because for most other DAW-related software and plugins you DO have to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on 64-bit OSes.

And regarding USB ports, try any non USB-3.0 ports first. That'll be your best bet for a first try.

• And regarding USB ports, try any non USB-3.0 ports first. That'll be your best bet for a first try.

There have been a few users experiencing problems with USB 3 ports on these forums, so yes, try a USB 2 port first, as this is less liely to cause issues. Bear in mind the Virus was designed before USB 3 was, so although USB 3 is "supposed to be" backwards compatible with USB 2 & 1 its hit and miss as to if it works for you im afraid. Alway use a dedicated USB port for the virus alone to eliminate the issues a lot of people have with sync etc.. Im a windows 7 (64bit) user so cant comment on Mac USB, but i use a dedicated Belkin USB card with nothing but virus connected without any sync issues...

Hope that helps..good luck and happy syncing! 8)