Virus TI Standalone output troubles

• Hey there,

I've had my Ti for a few years now and to start with I used it as a vst in cubase with no trouble at all,

I then started a liveset with my lass using loads of hardware and decided to try out the virus using the hardware outputs,

For a start, these outputs were dramatically quieter than all our other gear and there was also a massive hiss coming out when pugged in to any of the 3 outputs,

I read on this forum that for some reason, the virus was quieter due to the headroom needed for hypersaws etc... others explained the hiss due to the grounding of the adapter and I have tried a number of work arounds to attempt to eliminate this, all to no great effect.

I worked around this by running it thru an outboard compressor/gate to boost the level to match the other gear and to cut the hiss when there was no sound and it seemed useable.

I then completely fell in love with the virus and sounds i had started to create on it but still found the output to not really have the oomph compared to the other equipment that I am using.

today however, it seems the outputs have decided to give up the ghost and now the signal has dropped from barely useable to completely crackley, faded and distant and quite heavily distorted.

I have checked the leads and signal path and found them to be in perfect working order.

Has anyone else had this problem of complete hardware output failure?

And if so, what is the procedure for repair/service/fix?

I love this synth but have been shocked by it's behaviour as an outboard bit of equipment, it has been a constant source of confusion and disappointment where it wasn't at all when using it as a virtual instrument.

I was considering a snow if this TI completely broke but due to my experience I am starting to doubt it would be up to the job.

Advance thanks for any help of opinions!

Dv

• I'm assuming you were using balanced cables.
    One thing you can check is if the source of the hiss is having your input thru/boost enabled (config menu). You can also verify that this is a DAC issue by connecting the S/PDIF output to anything that can decode it (even home stereo) and checking what it sounds like. It could be that you had a faulty unit all along, but you didn't know that... this serves as a reminder to all Virus users to check as many aspects of their unit as possible before the warranty expires.
    Regarding fixing it, Access have a few official service centers around the world but if your warranty is over I think any synth workshop that you trust could do.
    Good luck!

• Thanks flabberbob!

You were right to assume balanced cables were used,

I bought the thing secondhand so no warrenty was there anyway,

I'm on the mission to get this fixed, I was just getting completely stuck into the matrix!!

:(:!: