Help with Lead (John O'Callaghan - Stresstest (John Askew Remix))

• Dear all

I own a TI2 Keyboard since 10 days now and am more than happy with that beast. I am relatively new to Synthesis but I am studying it everyday with the help of David Cann's book "Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard" which helps me a lot with understanding the principles of sound design.

Beside that I am designing my first sounds and try to recreate some sounds I love from other softsynths or records. Now I am trying to recreate the lead sound of John O'Callaghan's - Stresstest (John Askew Remix). I find the lead absolutely awesome but I am not able to recreate it. Maybe you guys could help me a little bit? It starts at 3:11 --> http://youtu.be/uU4rleTxYIw?t=3m11s

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best
    Jan

• Looks like you are talking about the pluck that increases from the point you linked to - a few hints: (1) the basic sound sounds like hypersaw. (2) the pluck envelope is created by setting the filter to lowpass with cutoff 0, and modulating the cutoff with the filter envelope, the default one that comes with the init patch of instant attack and decay to 0 (3) twist the filter's envelope amount knob and you'll get the "fade in/out" effect of the pluck.
    Good luck.

• Thanks a lot for your reply. I already have tried what you described and I am sure thats a good starting point. But what I am not able to recreate is a) the crisp and clear high ends without losing power and b) the awesome metallic ping pong delay. One can hear these effects the more the filter is opened (at the end of the breakdown).

• a --> can be achieved by any combination of any of the following ingredients in various amounts: using the EQ to filter out bass frequencies and increase treble; introducing some distortion; processing the Virus sound through "peak limiter" style compression.
    b--> I think I heard a burst of white noise on the attack so you can try that (control noise volume with LFO in ENV mode). Some of the delay types let you dial a color for the delay. Select a high value in order to get a treble rich metallic sound.
    Hope this helps.

• Thank you very much for your detailed reply! I'll give it a try asap. The only thing I didn't understand was "control noise volume with LFO in ENV mode". May you explain that to me please? Your help is very much appreciated! Thank you!