Virus usb connected to iPad

• Hi,

Have someone succeeded to play iPad with Virus usb-midi? I resently purchased Arturia iMini (Moog) emulation and today I tried to play it with my Virus Ti2 Polar. I plugged usb-cable to Virus and then with camera connection kit adapter to iPad. To my surprise iPad took Virus for its sound output (or external sound card): everything - iMini, Spotify, Sound Cloud etc. - came out from Virus. This was kind of a nice surprise. But then I realized that iMini did not recognize Virus usb-midi which was my first idea - to play iPad with usb-midi. In iMinis midi menu there was not option for choosing Virus as midi source.

Afterwards I did some comparative testing with my Mac Book which has same (or close) Mini V emulation. Pluggin Virus to Mac Books usb port makes it possible to make Virus both Sound Card and MIDI device. Or at least it should be like that, right? In Mini V's menus I choosed Virus as sound card and MIDI source but I generated crash. Same thing happened with other standalone synths like Pianoteq too. So something is not right there...

To sum it, I could not make my Virus to be both sound card and MIDI device. IPad did not recognize midi at all and Mac Book's apps crashed.

Any ideas or comments?

P.S. This was mainly just an intellectual experiment. But anyway there are lot potentiality if you could basically so easily (with just usb) integrated Virus and iPad together...

• The Virus introduces itself over USB as a generic audio class device, but not a generic MIDI class device. To use its MIDI capabilities over USB you'd need dedicated drivers which are not available for iPad (yet?). You have an option to purchase a MIDI-usb cable and connect it between the camera kit and the Virus MIDI ports.
    Hope this helps.

• Hi flabberbob,

Too bad, cause I was just hoping that Virus could handle both, audio and midi. It would have been just amazingly simple and powerful with iPad. In fact I use iPad all the time with Virus (and other synths) with iConnect MIDI which is amazing little box. And it will be still even better when they release its next version. This forthcoming midibox can in fact route also audio from iDevices.

• ...There are quite many synths which can play iOS synths just with usb cable and camera adapter. I have Microkorg XL and Nord Stage, both do it well. BUT: there aren't that many synths which can do iOS audio, I suppose. Or audio + midi. I don't know any. I am pretty sure that this ain't number one in Access development plan, but maybe they should take a note here. IMO Virus would be much more interesting product for us having iDevices. For example, with few euros you could buy iMini app (or any other) put it to channel 16, Midi-teach this app to react to Virus knobs, then put mute this part in Virus multi and voila': you have Minimoog inside your Virus alongside its own great presets. All this with one usb cable and camera adapter!

Of course it's possible now to do with old fashioned way: using some midi-usb-iPad device and audio cables (from iPads headphones output to Virus' audio ins), but all this feels so much complicated. I believe that Virus can do both with usb in principal, right?

Am I onlyone seeing this as great modern improvement in Virus functionality?

• The Virus introduces itself over USB as a generic audio class device, but not a generic MIDI class device. To use its MIDI capabilities over USB you'd need dedicated drivers which are not available for iPad (yet?). You have an option to purchase a MIDI-usb cable and connect it between the camera kit and the Virus MIDI ports.
    Hope this helps.

there are no "drivers" for the ipad (for anybody minis apple of course) and the virus cannot be changed to become a generic MIDI class device. it is an interesting experiment though.
    marc