Virus TI / TI 2 processing power, help needed?

• HI,

I did not find 100% answer about the difference of Virus TI and Virus TI 2 . I know about processing power is 25% better of Virus TI 2 and i can see that design is changed as well. What about weight, dimensions?

Also there are lots of different info on the net. Someone wrote that TI1 has not got same oscillator waveforms and have less effecst, and some wrote that all the same.

About processing power:

With my snow i never feel that i need more processing power, however it is handling max. 4 patch. That's why would like to upgrade to Desktop.

I really do not know how can i imagine processing power of TI and TI 2. I tihnk more patch i use ( not more polyphony), more processing power needed. Please advise on this.

In a regular tune, i would use about 8-12 selfmaded patches
    (now i have to bounce because of snow limitation)

I'm makin Drum and Bass basslines, try to be simple of course not trance patches with 64 polyphony.

for example: 0:49
    https://soundcloud.com/percy_tc/vengeance_clip

Is it possible that i will run to processing limitation?

Please advise , as i have an opprotunity to buy a secnd hand TI1 Desktop, but if 12 patch could be problematic i have to look after TI2

• I did not find 100% answer about the difference of Virus TI and Virus TI 2 . I know about processing power is 25% better of Virus TI 2 and i can see that design is changed as well. What about weight, dimensions?

If I remember correctly the TI2 line is a little lighter, as the reinforcements within the chassis were redesigned. The dimensions are similar but probably not identical since the TI rack ears do not fit the TI2. The TI and TI2 use exactly the same DSP and the 25% increase in power was gained by redesigning the motherboard around it.

Also there are lots of different info on the net. Someone wrote that TI1 has not got same oscillator waveforms and have less effecst, and some wrote that all the same.

The Virus is a VA synth so the oscillators and effects come from the OS, not the circuitry. Since they both use the same DSP, they both can run the same OS and thus the same synthesis engine.

I really do not know how can i imagine processing power of TI and TI 2. I tihnk more patch i use ( not more polyphony), more processing power needed. Please advise on this.

The Snow has that same DSP as well, but only one. The TI and TI2 have two of those DSP chips (call it dual core if you want). The TI2 can balance the resources between the pair and thus squeeze out that 25%. So the conclusion is that if your arrangement can play 4 parts without note stealing, you can play it twice at the same time with the TI, and maybe even add another simple part you get from having less resource fragmentation in comparison with the snow. But in a real life situation the question is what is the patch complexity (the amount of resources used - you can use patch complexity meter which shows you the resource usage per voice, not taking unison into account), MIDI note density for each part and whether the parts are mono- or polyphonic. In any case I dare say that with a TI and a Snow together you can cover 12 parts without a problem.
    Hope this helps.