Osc 2 Semitone Automation in Pro Tools

• I have setup an Virus TI2 automation lane in Protools to automate the Osc 2 Semitone parameter so that I can simulate chords (with Osc 1) in Mono mode. In doing so I notice that the pitch does not instantly switch as specified by the automation, instead it glides up to or down to the specified pitch. I have tried automating Controller 25 directly, using the proper Virus/Protools add automation method for the specified part/parameter (from the TI manual), mapped pitch bend, foot pedal etc in the matrix to the Osc2 Semitone parameter all of which produced the gliding effect. I have also tried adjusting the Portamento parameter from 0 to other values to see if this made a difference. In all instances the pitch glides rather then immediately jumping to the specified pitch as specified by the automation. Finally, to rule out the DAW as the probelm I tested the identical automation in ProTools with another multi oscillator synthesizer (DSI mopho) and it worked properly.

Is there a method by which I can have the DAW automation instantly switch the semitone to the desired pitch in real time?

Thanks.

• Tested some more, found that using Velocity On to control Osc2 Pitch in the matrix works properly. This was the only modulator I found thus far that does not produce the glide effect.

• I was careful with the automation creation. The automation pattern I created in both Ableton and ProTools were essentially square waves of varying wavelength and amplitude...no ramps were used.

I received the following response from Access support (within 24 hours on a saturday evening, good job access!) and they are suggesting the same as you did:

"The Virus uses a technology called "adaptive control smoothing" to avoid zipper noise that rapid changes of parameters especially when automating them with Midi could cause. You need to switch the corresponding menu entry "smooth mode" in the main EDIT menu left of the display to off."

I will give it a try..thanks for the help!