Virus w/out the TI (help please)

• Hi, After a long time of trying to use my Virus with the USB, I have accepted its not going to work with my iMac, Ableton, or Logic Pro without the horrible sync issues: (popping, buzzing, screeching, and locking up.)

So I am happy to work with the synth through MIDI, and analog audio. Now, that being said, I had gotten used to working on patches, the arp, automation, and all the other bells and whistles using the plugin Virus Control GUI. So, the last couple of nights have been frustrating because I am trying to get a grip on how to accomplish everything just using the the front control buttons, knobs , and LCD panel. So I am going to have many questions in the coming weeks, I assume. The first question is: how do I tell the synth using the front control panels, and the LCD, that I want to use all stereo analog outs, and furthermore, how do I access the different screens to assign the patches to the specific outs I want? So far I only seem to get to assign a patch out of output 1. In LOgic Pro I can load another "external MIDI" track into the project, and then assign the track to Virus' channel 2 to trigger sounds. But, I cannot figure out how to navigate to channel 2's page in the LCD display. It was easy with VIrus COntrol because it was all right there.

Anyway all help is GREATLY appreciated. And, does anyone know of any documentation that explains in detail how to use the the front control panel?
    There is nothing in the user manual to explain it.

Can't wait to get back into the synth, because it really is an awesome instrument.

Thanks, MC :rolleyes:

• I had gotten used to working on patches, the arp, automation, and all the other bells and whistles using the plugin Virus Control GUI

First of all, your new workflow doesn't mean you have to ditch VC altogether. You can still work on your patches in VC, and also record your ideas into MIDI clips, and when ready to build the whole track, copy the patches into a RAM bank, disconnect USB, connect MIDI and use the MIDI clips on the MIDI channel, while the saved MIDI patches are selected.

I cannot figure out how to navigate to channel 2's page in the LCD display.

Most of your problems originate from the fact that you are still in single mode, mening you are only able to play one part (or channel). With a DAW I recommend working in sequencer mode, you enter it by pressing the single and multi buttons at the same time. Once you enter it the < Part > buttons should help you navigate between the parts/channels.

how do I tell the synth using the front control panels, and the LCD, that I want to use all stereo analog outs, and furthermore, how do I access the different screens to assign the patches to the specific outs I want?

Once in sequencer mode, enter the multi menu (shift+edit). On the "patch" page, you can choose the output.

does anyone know of any documentation that explains in detail how to use the the front control panel?

Is that the manual you are referring to? (available from here, and also the (?) button in VC)

Hope this helps!

• Ok, when I edit a patch to perfection in VC mode, Then save it to a RAM bank, if I switch to MIDI and unplug the USB, do all the settings of my patch stay as I left them in VC mode? For instance if the Amp Envelope Release was left at "6" when I load the patch in with the MIDI cables attached will the Release amount be exactly "6?"
    Also, I have all the documentation for my Virus. I just don't know where or what page they describe how to navigate the menus with the front panel controls.

Thanks you have already saved the day!

MC

• when I edit a patch to perfection in VC mode, Then save it to a RAM bank, if I switch to MIDI and unplug the USB, do all the settings of my patch stay as I left them in VC mode?

When you recall the patch it will be the same as the moment you saved it including the position of the soft knobs. If you applied further tweaking after saving they will not be recalled. Also worth mentioning that the physical knobs will not change to represent the actual values but you can control how they catch up with the values once you do move them.

I have all the documentation for my Virus. I just don't know where or what page they describe how to navigate the menus with the front panel controls.

Navigating within any menu: pressing the menu button outside the menu will get you to the last page you visited in that menu. Pressing the menu button within the menu will get you to the first page of the next section of the menu. Pressing the < parameters > buttons will navigate between individual pages. In the manual I mentioned, chapter 4 describes the edit menu of each individual section (every section of the unit's panel has its own edit button). Chapter 5 describes the config menu. And chapter 6 describes the multi menu, which is mostly useful for multi mode.

• Hey, thanks for all your help. still kind of frustrated and not getting work done. So you mentioned "Sequencer Mode." I got into Seq Mode, but then when I wanted to assign the separate parts out discreet channels you said to: "Once in sequencer mode, enter the multi menu (shift+edit). On the "patch" page, you can choose the output." The synth then says I have to put it in "Multi Mode" to access the patch output page. So I do that, and then I can't figure out how to "save" the output assignment. In fact how do you save anything? Are all these changes automatically saved when you close the menu? I wish I could have a hands on training session on how to re-learn this synth. Its killing me. I I learned the synth through that GUI, and now I'm stuck on stupid trying to re-learn in entirely new way.

thanks, MC

• in the RAM banks, can I use RAM-A 0, and pull that patch up in Logic, or do I have to start with RAM-A 1? It seems like when you make an "external midi" track, Logic gives you those 16 channels to choose from in the "library." But, it starts with 1, not 0. Is that my problem?

• There's a patch that's stuck and no matter what i assign that MIDI track I still hear it come out, regardless. Its "layered" on top of the patches I want to hear. How do turn it off?

• Regarding patch numbering, there are 2 standards, so just subtract 1 to go from Logic to Virus.
    Regarding Multi, there are more things to consider when working in this mode (that's why I prefer sequencer mode): in the multi menu you can set any part to respond to any MIDI channel, and also disable parts completely so they don't interfere.