Soundbank Request: Classic Analog Sounds

• I don't know if anyone remembers the old Kurzweil K2000s? I had one. Killer synth/workstation. If you could wrap your head around V.A.S.T. technology, there was stuff that thing could do that's still ahead of its time now.

Anyways. There was a classic soundbank you could buy for it called ANALOG.KRZ which had about 100 or so (I think?) sounds, all done with VAST (not samples), and it had basically the "best of" or most famous sounds from each well-known synth: Moog, Prophet, Oberheim, all kinds of synths (I'm trying hard to remember the details, this was like ~20 years ago). All the classic "go to" sounds you needed like synth horns, "Moog-y" basses, squelchy monophonic leads, classic Moog 5th leads (Wakeman stuff).

I could really use one of these banks for the Virus. You know, the Virus has so many sounds, and all of them are new, interesting, and unique. And a LOT of them are dark and evil. I think that whole world is COVERED. I need some really musical, not dark, not evil, playable, pretty, classic synth stuff. I have a lot of real analog synths and I would never let them leave my house. I want to bring the Virus out to do that stuff.

Anyways. Thanks for listening. If there's any sound designers out there, or whoever does this stuff (I have no idea), please think about it! I want to burn bank X on my TI full of 128 classic analog replicas! :thumbup:

• I agree. The world doesn't really need another bank of hardstyle or trance presets for the Virus. The casual observer could be fooled into thinking that is all the Virus is good for.

I would love to see a more classic analog-style soundset compiled by somebody. Ideally really well-sculpted musical tones without too much wild modulation - so that they act as great starting points for tweaking into our own patches. Analog is having a bit of a renaissance at the moment, so I'm sure there's a market for these sounds if a skilled sound designer is up for the task.

• have a look ar howard scarr's last bank for instance. you will find loads of what you asking for in there.

Ah thanks for this! Didn't even know there had been new sound sets released lately!

• Well I've checked all the new soundbanks out, thanks for the heads-up.

Howard Scarr's is *really* good, the HG sounds (Astronomy and Starburst) are quite nice too. The others, like Rob Jevons, Essential X and Club X whatever, are those hardcore dark evil sounds I was talking about.

Anyways. Pretty nice. I'd still like to reiterate my request for an Analog best-of recreations. Names of the synths and the name of the sound (like "OB Horn" instead of C:;;++[]> etc). 128 of them. I will pay for this. I can't speak for others.

No need to get touchy about what Fuseball said, Marc. He was right you know, the Virus is known everywhere in the world as a trance synth; I work with people from Italy to South Africa to England, here in Canada and below us in the US, everyone says this. The *stores* sell it as a trance synth.

I spend every week trying to tell people it isn't. I don't know why I care, really. If it *was* a trance synth I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

• to me there is a vast difference in between "trance" and all the other flavors of electronic dance music. i'm not touchy about that, i just try to put things into perspective. but even though "trance" is dead by now, the sounds are living on in modern R&B and hiphop productions. this might seem unfortunate for some but i guess non of us can chance it much. when we commission sound sets, we usually try to fill the blind spots in the library. and mostly this means programming sounds for new styles of music. so if you label what the programmers you mention above have done as "trance", you have a point.

best, marc

• to me there is a vast difference in between "trance" and all the other flavors of electronic dance music. i'm not touchy about that, i just try to put things into perspective. but even though "trance" is dead by now, the sounds are living on in modern R&B and hiphop productions. this might seem unfortunate for some but i guess non of us can chance it much. when we commission sound sets, we usually try to fill the blind spots in the library. and mostly this means programming sounds for new styles of music. so if you label what the programmers you mention above have done as "trance", you have a point.

best, marc

Well said. That is true about trance sounds being in modern R&B (or modern R&B really IS trance now?).

For the purposes of this argument I think we mean to say "modern, aggressive, digital-sounding electronic sounds" and what we want is "classic, melodic, analog-sounding sounds".

Thanks for the link, I'll use it now.

• Marc,
    Trance is bigger now that it has ever been at any point in history!!
    Also, the Access Virus is one of the hallmark machines used by trance producers and can be heard on 99% of all current releases.
    How come everybody knows this except you at Access??
    I understand people wishing to use the Virus for other styles, but to claim that trance is "dead" has left me dumbfounded.
    I got my Virus to make trance, excuse me for feeling slightly offended by your off-the-cuff comments.
    If Access is embarrassed about the Virus' affinity with trance let me know, I'll sell it and get a prophet 12. X(

• I think that the trance-like sounds are what's still very current in modern dance music, even if the genre has changed. It's certainly where the money is there to be made, which explains why so many commercially available soundsets aim at that market. It's the same with Massive and ranks of dubstep sounds (which again has splintered into a number of other styles).

I certainly never meant to say that the Virus is only good at those aggressive EDM sounds. I would never have bought one if I thought that was the case. I only wish more sound designers thought it worthwhile to make sets for more classic analogue tones. I don't make what would be considered modern dance music, maybe electro at a push, but I like the versatility of the Virus and its reliability compared to vintage gear. I'd far rather gig with it than my Juno 60 for example.

Anyway, I really appreciated the link to Howard Scarr's soundset. I'd missed that one and found some excellent patches in there.

• From one of the greatest trance producers of all time :)

[soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]

• a synth is not Genre based. Genres are based on Synth.

Virus has a "trance "reputation and people think that is bad... its very simple if you want presets , yea then virus comes close to be able to called a trance synth. BUT a synth is only as good as the person behind it.

For instance: TB303 was created for "acoustic musicians " to have a bassist with them all the time...... well it became the ACID machine.

:thumbup: