Virus TI2 Desktop Trouble

• I just purchased a used Virus TI2 Desktop Today. I plugged it in and hooked up my midi keyboard and I was good to go. Everything was working flawlessly and then my audio from the Virus completely cut out. I unplugged my virus and plugged it back in. It began to work again but then the same exact issue happened. I unplugged it another time and tried again. It began to work but this time when the audio cut out it seemed like the Virus got stuck and continued looping the same sound over and over again. Please help I'm not sure how to fix this!

P.S. Im working on a brand new iMac with all operating systems up to date, Ableton Live 9, and a Novation Impulse Keyboard.

-Lukas

• First thing to check is whether the Virus acts the same way in standalone - no USB connected. Connect the MIDI controller directly and play around for a while. If it cuts out or freezes in standalone it is probably defective. If not, you need to do some troubleshooting on your iMac.
    Looking forward to hearing how it turned out!

Thanks for the response! I get no audio when I play in stand alone mode. The only audio I receive is when I open up the Virus TI plug in inside on Ableton Live 9, but it only works for a few minutes and then cuts out. This is very frustrating I just want to play with my new Virus!

-Lukas

• Did you connect headphones/monitor (just checking)?
    Is local control enabled (config menu using LCD)?
    Does the audition button have any effect (in stand alone)?

I connected headphones and I got nothing. Local control is enabled. The audition button brings me to another screen but still no sound. I was able to get the demo song to work in stand alone mode so I'm assuming I'm having some sort of midi issue? Thanks for your help!

-Lukas

• You should have the following connections:
    - Novation Impulse MIDI Out -> Virus MIDI In
    - Headphones
    - Power cable

As you see, this test involves no connection to your computer. You may get clean sound.

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarPabl () aus folgendem Grund: Title

• Ok we can't still conclude the Virus is faulty :(

Lets take the MIDI cable out of the equation. Just press the Audition button (near the soft knobs) and see if you get sound. BTW you press Shift + Search buttons in order to trigger the Audition.

If you get sound this way, then it's likely the Novation Impulse has to be correctly configured to transmit on the MIDI port connected to the Virus (it may be transmitting on USB or another MIDI port) and on the same MIDI Channel.

• Ok we can't still conclude the Virus is faulty :(

Lets take the MIDI cable out of the equation. Just press the Audition button (near the soft knobs) and see if you get sound. BTW you press Shift + Search buttons in order to trigger the Audition.

If you get sound this way, then it's likely the Novation Impulse has to be correctly configured to transmit on the MIDI port connected to the Virus (it may be transmitting on USB or another MIDI port) and on the same MIDI Channel.

When auditioning without the MIDI cable connected I got audio! I guess this is a good sign that my Virus is functioning just fine. Still not sure about how to fix the MIDI issue between my novation impulse and my virus. Thank you everyone for all of your help I'm almost there!

-Lukas

• Yes, seems like you issue is with the connection to the Mac. Try follow the tutorial included for Ableton... You'll find parameters you have to modify in order to get reliable results.

• The Ableton tutorial was not helpful. Atony B, I don't know how I would change my midi volume on my virus or what expression CC is, please tell me how. I'm getting very frustrated with this issue I don't understand why It won't just play audio when I have a midi cable going directly from the out of my midi keyboard to the in of my virus. Can someone shed some light onto my problem and a possible step by step solution? I'm not a whiz when it comes to issues like this, clearly as I am searching for help on this forum.

-Lukas