• For whatever reason, I must always keep the "LIVE" button engaged in Virus Control if I want my Virus Snow to be recorded in sync/time (with devices like Maschine, etc.) in Ableton Live 9.02. I'm fine with that, but it's just a pain to have to remember to activate the LIVE button every time I start Ableton. Is there any way Access can include an option to "lock" LIVE mode in the next update to the Virus Control software (when it starts in a DAW)?

• From my own experience, the problem is with Ableton Live (both 8 and 9). I find that the VC plugin completely throws out Live's MIDI clock output. If I sync my Elektron machines to Live's clock then they are a good half-beat late when VC is loaded. I don't have Maschine, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is reacting the same way as my Elektron kit. As soon as I remove VC from the project everything steps back into sync. I think other plugins can mess with Live's timing and latency but none to the degree that VC does.

VC does not cause this behaviour in Logic, even with "Live" mode disengaged. I guess that Logic is managing its MIDI clock output differently, or at least with the correct priority, compared to Live. Much as I enjoy using Ableton for composition, this issue alone is pushing me to learn Logic as my main DAW from now on.

• When you say "recorded" do you mean recording MIDI from the keyboard, or recording audio from the playing project? I don't think it is wise to keep live mode on all the time as it makes VC more susceptible to timing and data bandwidth issues.

Thanks for the responses. By "recorded" I mean when MIDI notes are sent to the virus (either from the keyboard or piano roll), and then recorded (bounced down) to an audio clip. Fuseball explains the situation correctly. The differences with the LIVE button engaged are obvious in my situation: Maschine and the Virus Snow audio record in sync and in time (with the first transient visible at the very beginning of the audio clip). With the LIVE button NOT engaged, both devices are OUT of sync (with the first transient visible after about a 1/2 bar elapses). This issue is one of the reasons I originally sold my Virus TI2 desktop. I gave the prophet 08 a shot, but soon realized that the Virus could sound just as warm and "analog". I missed the Virus wavetables as well, so I purchased a Snow. Anyway, my request remains the same: A switchable "lock" of the LIVE button (specifically for Ableton Live users), that activates when the application starts.

• Well it sounds like Live is not calculating its delay compensation as one would expect. I don't know Live 9 that well, but try looking at its delay compensation configuration. Also see if it matters if any tracks are armed when you play back.
    A temporary solution could be to use the Virus as an external MIDI instrument without VC, or to solo and bounce each Virus track once you are happy with it, and then drag the bounced audio to its correct place.

• I appreciate your suggestions, but if activating the LIVE button solves the delay issue (and I don't seem to be experiencing "timing and data banwidth issues"), then why not use it; right? Live 9 has the same delay compensation configuration as earlier iterations of Live (as far as I can tell). The tracks I'm recording audio in to have to be armed by nature, but all it takes is a a glance at the waveform that's been recorded to see the delay itself (transient starts about a 1/2 beat after record is initiated). I've thought about using the Virus as an external midi instrument, but I enjoy using VC when sound designing (and rather not plug/unplug my connections all the time). Soloing and bouncing each track individually would remove the creativity/live aspect to my workflow. Like I said, I appreciate your suggestions, but I've been down this road before (already owning the TI2 desktop), and I'm willing to deal with it because the Virus is just such an amazing synth.

• Ableton Live shifts MIDi events after recording backwards by the amount of latency a plug-in announces. It was always the case and is unfortunate in many cases. There is nothing we can do about it, all you can do is _remind_ Ableton that they wanted to changes this since years. We do this as well.
    "Live" mode in Virus control reduces the latency the plug-in announces but you need to factor in that the drawback is a lack if accuracy for the MIDI events. In other words: the notes will not be sample accurate and jitter a little.
    best, marc

• Thanks, Marc. I haven't experienced any jitter yet, but it's good to know. If you guys are reminding Ableton and they're not being responsive, then I hardly doubt that I'll get any attention. Anyway, glad to be back in the fold... :)

• Hi. New Virus TI 2 owner here. LOVE it. As the OP mentioned, I really want Access to consider adding the ability to lock the Live mode button so its state is saved when I close/re-launch/reboot Ableton.

Yes, I know the MIDI is not sample-accurate with the Live button enabled, and I will experience some jitter. But, really, the only reason I want to/need turn off Live mode (or have sample-accurate playback) is when I am bouncing at the end of a session, which is not even once per week.

It is a hassle to have to remember to enable Live mode every time I launch live, and as every Ableton + Virus user knows, having the Live button enabled when working with Ableton and Virus is ESSENTIAL.

Please Access! Please consider adding this (or an editor instead, but that's a different can of worms).

Thanks so much.

• Same issue here... came to check if there was any news...

Its funny with ableton I have to hit the live button if not all the notes get shifted forward a good amount...

Or if I turn delay compensation off it records the notes on time, but then it doesn't play them on time...

If anyone has any new info please let me know :)