Arabian Flutes? Middle Eastern Influenced Sounds?

• Hi all,

Basically, I'd love some realistic Middle Eastern influenced sounds. Like an Arabian Flute for example. I think it'll add some edge to my Music.
    If anybody has any Links, Patches to share or even tips on how I'd create such sounds? I'd be more than grateful if you'd pass 'em on.

Thanks in advance! :)

• For "realistic" I'd go to a ROMpler, but the Virus can give you a lot in the direction of "influenced".
    Regarding a flute, in subtractive synthesis, the square waveform is the mother of all flutes. Arabian flutes have a lot of air escaping out of them which you emulate using white noise - a lot of it in the attack phase and the rest of the time control the amount with a sine/triangle LFO. On the other hand, the column of air inside the flute takes time to fully vibrate so I'd let the attack open a lowpass filter on the square wave, but I wouldn't open it all the way through since it needs to take away the nasty edge of the square wave. This, by the way, forces you to work in split mode. The sound itself should be monophonic, with a fast but noticeable glide since covering the flutes hole with your finger has that effect. It would also be a good idea to gel the noise and oscillatore sound together with a little bit of gentle distortion. Apart from that, the flutists can get nice overtones out of the flue by nodding their heads, which you can emulate with an LFO controlling filters (highpass/notch/bandpass from the main filters, and also the filters available in the effects section) and/or spectral waves from the remaining oscillators.
    Regarding other instruments, you'll have to be specific, there are many string, wind and percussion instruments from that area...
    Hope this helps!