Access Virus 2013 Release

• Thinking about spending $3000.

It's been a looonnng time since the TI2 was released. A game changer indeed but buying a Virus TI2 now is like buying a current gen Mac Pro, not a good investment. Apple, perhaps the most secretive company in the world, have teased their new Mac Pros giving their customers the knowledge that something new is on the horizon and if you want to invest the choice is totally yours.

Access is not being so forthcoming and continue to sell an old product at a premium. That implies nothing about the quality of the current Virus.

However, we all know something is coming, we know Access needs to make money so I understand that practice but if ANYONE has ANY insight here please provide it.

$3000 is an investment, not a hard one when it comes to Access but a difficult one when it comes to buying something from 2009.

• Who knows?... Only Access know whats in their R&D diary...... in any case, why not buy a virus now? it will hold its value more than any other synth on the market today. (not including old analogues of course) I know since i bought my Virus TI2 2 years ago they have gone up in price by about £150.00 and resale prices are very good, so i consider it a good investment, should i wish to sell it, will have had a couple of hundred pounds worth of fun/use out of it... so im happy. Although ihave no plans to sell mine as im still finding new things to do with it and features as ye unexplored!.. its a lovely bit of hardware and worth every penny IMHO so why wait for something new?.. thats one reason i bought a virus, because it WONT BE OBSOLETE in 6 Months!... you are paying for Quality, years of research and development, unrivaled sound quality, and once you buy one, you wont want to stop playing it!..it oodles quality and touch that you just cannot get from a cheap plastic synth..

So, take your time access!.. im in no rush to update. Its like the classic Neuman U87 microphone, about £3000 but oozes quality, almost perfect! and cant really be improved much more,

Thats my 10euros worth!... 8)

• hmendozajr: It really depends on your workflow. If you are going to get the Virus just in order to say that you got one then don't. Getting the cheaper Snow instead of a full TI might be good for certain workflows. I believe that if you shared your workflow here you'll have enough forum users with enough insight to give you a good advice. The big difference between the Viruses A thru C and the TI is that the underlying computing platform has become more flexible and allows for pure SW updates even if they were undreamt of at the time of the HW design stage. That is why you see the same HW unit being sold for so long. Only the TIOS changes.
    Hope this helps.

• I bought my TI2 Polar a few months ago and have no regrets. Sure, it was expensive, but it is a deep synth and will provide sound design depth for years. Plus, Access seems so far pretty good at SW updates and support. I also have a Nord Stage 2 and Clavia is famous for taking care of its customers.

This unit will hold its value, like the Nord. For example, I bought a Nord Wave in 2011 for $1940 and sold it two years later for $1800. I don't know of any Korgs, Rolands, or Yamahas, or Apples that hold their value like that.

The Access products are well-built, well supported, and feature rich, in my opinion. Just because the technology is from 2009 means nothing in my opinion. The Romplers from the big three still utilize technology from the days of the Korg M1. ;)

-dj

Nord Stage 2
    Access Virus Ti2 Polar
    Sequential Prophet 6
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050

• TI2 61-key + Stage 2 here as well. Excellent combo, I doubt I will ever run out of sound design possibilities with this setup. About the only thing I could really "want" at this point is USB 2.0+ with the Virus, and perhaps the ability to load custom wavetables.

• Was going to wait to see if they brought out a new Virus, but i've waited for about 3 months, so Just bought a Ti2 keyboard, why wait when i can play with it now.

• To be fairly honest, the TI series has been around for some time now, so why hold back and wait for something new that we really don't know about?

TI series has been keeping on this far and is still loved by so many for a reason, so why wait? Get one dammit! :D