Vst-Gui performance - Win7 vs XP

• Hi!

My Snow TI feels much smoother in windows xp.

The knobs are responding more accurate in winxp.
    Seems like animating the VST-GUI takes much more CPU in Win7.

Are there any tweaks for a fresh installed windows 7 to speed things up?
    I can't play old projects because of the higher cpu load.

I'm using Live 8 and Cubase 5
    CPU: Q6600 Geforce 8800GT

Thanks

Michael

• I've got the same problem.
    GUI of the Virus Control working very slow.

All my other devices & VST's works fine here, only the Virus control freezing up my display.

Cubase 4.52
    CPU : Q6600 Geforce 8500 GT
    Virus OS : v3.30

• but not in the next update, it will take some more time.

best, marc

holy sh+t...
    and i thought that's going to be the first bug which will be fixed.
    Is there a releasedate or at least any range like "within 2 weeks" for the next update?

I guess win7 users would have to wait till next year... damn

• I use Windows 7 32bit and i have the "same" Problem. All is good but when i switch to the Preset Browser every single information display lags. I mean RAM display, cpu display, step sequenzer in fl studio and everything ;/ ;( ;)

If i switch to another TI menu it stopped lagging.

• I use Windows 7 32bit and i have the "same" Problem. All is good but when i switch to the Preset Browser every single information display lags. I mean RAM display, cpu display, step sequenzer in fl studio and everything ;/ ;( ;)

If i switch to another TI menu it stopped lagging.

x2 exactly the same problem

• holy sh+t...
    and i thought that's going to be the first bug which will be fixed.
    Is there a releasedate or at least any range like "within 2 weeks" for the next update?

I guess win7 users would have to wait till next year... damn

It is a changed behaviour in windows7 and not a bug. On Windows7, several APIs can turn out to be very slow, caused by the changed video adapter architecture.
    The solution is to use a new API, that is working in a different manner, so this is not a trivial move.
    Please understand that we can not give a release date on that yet.

-timo

• Timo,
    I think the problem comes from the WDDM 1.1 using directx10, isn't it?
    so we perhaps can find a trick like enable DisableHWAcceleration in registry?

EDIT: I try it, it works better with normal configuration (i.e. hardware acc. on)

• i cant get the TI to work at all in Win 7 so having to use my TI as a standalone synth doing sysex dumps etc :(

Win 7 32
    Q6600 overclocked to 3.6gHz
    4g RAM
    TI os 3.3

Gutted but at least some of my soft synths work which is nice. Never used Alchemy so much but loving it now

• I actually work in the music retail business, and one important thing I've learned over the years is...

DON'T GET THE NEWEST WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM IF YOU ARE IN A MUSIC PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT!!!!!!

It took a long time for Vista to be compatible with both Hardware and Software. It's kind of a crappy deal, but if you upgrade your Windows Operating System you have to be VERY patient as the good folks at Microsoft like to add all kinds of new code that needs to be debugged against your studio.

My advice is to use an older Windows OS, like XP... OR ...use Mac OS X, which is very friendly to music studios.

• I don't think you're right for actualy:
    seven is nice as XP was, only vista was very bad
    I'm now on seven 64: no problem, no crash... relay not any problem! just use VC a little slower... waiting for new release from access!
    seven is as fast as XP but with 64bit memory usage (vsti rompler ... paradise)
    it's so nice :)

• My first post as an owner :)

With 7 RC1 x64, TIOS 3.3.0.0, x64/x86 Plugin, VC seems just fine. Not really fast of a plugin, but not sluggish either. Tested in FL Studio 9 and Studio One, both x86 hosts. My hardware configuration is an Intel e2220 (dual 2.2GHz cpu), on a ridicolous Intel Essentials motherboard and 2GB DDR2 clocked at 667MHz, really a discount computer nowadays. Maybe there are certain combos that work better than others?
    I'm actually about to get a new clean install of my os, my TIOS, mounting another soundcard; will post again if anything changes.

Edit: the VST3 plugin in Studio One works noticeably faster than the 2.4 in FL 9

• Ooooh I've now got Windows 7 64-bit Professional sitting on a DVD ready to be installed, and being the big geek that I am I am chomping at the bit to do it! Problem is - I have everything running just creeeeamy in Vista 64 at the moment and it looks like the only thing that won't work as well in Windows 7 is my black beauty...

Should I just go for it? To be honest I don't really use VC - I load up the plugin then just do everything on the synth itself, I take it that there is no lag if you're doing it that way? Just so you know, I secretly crave problems in my setup. Life is boring when everything works perfectly.. ;)

• I Have 6 hard drives all identical down to the serial numbers i have 3 in my PC and 3 as Mirror backups.
    All my installs are on C, all my Tracks are on D and all other s*** is on E.
    I am also in the process of installing/Testing Win7. I have taken my C drive out and replaced with my backup for DAW install so if anything goes wrong i have peace of mind of putting my C drive back in the PC and of course what ever happens tracks on D are never affected.
    Expensive but well worth it IMO.