Markus Schulz's 'Digital Madness' lead

• Hello everyone,

So, this has been in my head for a while and I can't seem to find the perfect sound to replicate Markus Schulz's lead in Digital Madness.
    Link can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4ob1FtYT8 Melody starts at around 0:30.

I have been producing for 2 years now, and from a producer point I understand how layering is important. But I need to find out how he made it so fat and centered like this. Sausage fattener? Virus' distortion unit? Fab Filter Saturn? What would be your settings?

Thank you

• Layering is not the answer here - this is a single oscillator sound, note that the harmonics don't pulsate, like the chorusing effect you get from layering. What makes this basic saw wave stand out is that some of its mid range is eliminated, either by a simple EQ or a multiband compressor which also brickwall-limits the high and low frequencies. You will not benefit from most distortion types as they will simply turn the saw wave into a square wave.
    Hope this helps.

• Layering is not the answer here - this is a single oscillator sound, note that the harmonics don't pulsate, like the chorusing effect you get from layering. What makes this basic saw wave stand out is that some of its mid range is eliminated, either by a simple EQ or a multiband compressor which also brickwall-limits the high and low frequencies. You will not benefit from most distortion types as they will simply turn the saw wave into a square wave.
    Hope this helps.

This is one good chunk of advice. Thank you.