Apple Logic Pro X

• Today Logic X was released. I wonder if anyone of you has already tried to use Virus Control plugin in it. How does it work? Any issues? Maybe someone from Access team has something to say in this topic - is it safe to switch to version X?

• i was probably as surprised when Logic X was released as everybody else. we have not conducted any extensive tests so far but from what i was able to check out very briefly, it works. give us a couple of days and we will know more. you can install Logic X in parallel to logic 9. you cannot load logic X projects into Logic 9.
    hth, marc

• @ Marc - I have heard that there is not a New track with next MIDI channel command in Logic X, can you check that it is still quite straight forward to have all our Virus parts organised on separate tracks please.

• first of all you can create a multi instrument with 16 tracks associated with 16 MIDI channels. but you need to do this right when you start. there is also an option to create a new track with the next MIDI channel but this option apparently needs to be fixed.
    hth, marc

The virus probably works best multi-timbrally when setup as a track stack now.

• Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not sure what track stacks are yet, unfortunately I'm excluded from the Logic X party unless I upgrade my OS - it won't even let me download it from the app store because I'm too old skool for it :D

• Hello,

I have been trying out the Virus Control plugin with the new Logic and have hit a couple of snags.

Latency seems to be longer than under Logic 9. I can solve this by using live mode, but this is not something I have ever needed to do before. I have not yet tested arpeggiator sync timing.

The most obvious problem is a persistent, rhythmic ticking coming into the audio channel. You can clearly see it in the channel meters. I have found no way to get rid of it, but it is interesting that it doesn't start immediately. I can play the Virus for a short while, and then the ticking starts and doesn't go away.

Looks like I'm going to be using Logic 9 for a while longer, both because of the Virus, and because I need some 32-bit plugins which aren't supported.

Thanks,

• Just a quick heads up, I have been able to download Logic X on an up to date machine & have now installed it on OS 10.7.5

Everything seems to be running fine for now.

• Hi again,

I don't know what the problem was before, but it seems to be working perfectly now...

Hopefully it was just one of those little glitches.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Daniel.

• Latency seems to be longer than under Logic 9. I can solve this by using live mode, but this is not something I have ever needed to do before. I have not yet tested arpeggiator sync timing.

The most obvious problem is a persistent, rhythmic ticking coming into the audio channel. You can clearly see it in the channel meters. I have found no way to get rid of it, but it is interesting that it doesn't start immediately. I can play the Virus for a short while, and then the ticking starts and doesn't go away.

latency was the same here and no audible problems.
    marc

• latency was the same here and no audible problems.
    marc

As I said in my second message, I seem to have had some kind of temporary glitch. It's been working perfectly since then. If anything, it actually seems to be working better than Logic 9 - I have not been able to get it to go out of sync or make any kind of unwanted sounds.

Thanks for answering. I let you know if anything changes.

Daniel

• I have noticed one problem that i havnt had before. The transpose gets screwed up and whenever i start my project i need to adjust it. Usually 2 cents up and then the other time i start it its back on normal so i need to adjust it back. Don't know if this is a general problem. I have programed the patch from scratch if that make any difference.

• just a heads up: apple fixed the multi instrument handling in 10.0.0.1 - now you can generate new tracks assigned to the same multi instrument with different midi channels.
    hth, marc

Great news, I'm glad they sorted that one out nice & quickly for us. :thumbup:

• I too have been getting an audible tick coming out of the Virus TI in Logic X. I still have issues with garbled audio every other time I open TI. By shutting down Logic X and rebooting the virus it usually takes care of it. The audible tick however seems to never go away until I hit play but comes back immediately after I stop the playback. The noise always ticks to the first BPM set to a song.