Using all 6 stereo Virus TI outputs in Cubase

• Hey there guys,

I've decided to hook up the 3 hardware stereo outputs so that I may have 6 independent stereo outputs available in Cubase. I have managed to get this working in the following 2 ways:

1) Creating an external instrument (with no MIDI device) that contains the 3 analog outputs. In this case, I simply create a Virus TI and a Virus TI Extra (the external instrument) and I have all 6 stereo pairs available.

2) Creating 3 stereo audio tracks, setting the input and enabling monitor.

The main problem I'm having with both these approaches is that soloing the Virus TI MIDI channels doesn't also solo the analog outputs in my Cubase mixer. This does cause frustration and I'm wondering if there's a better way?

I've tested 1) rather thoroughly and things do seem to work well. Analog channels play in sync with the USB outputs, but the solo behaviour for the additional channels is quite a problem.

Thanks heaps!

• This is interesting, because usually in a setup such as this, the analog channels play too early due to delay compensation - even in LIVE mode where the time difference is really short (maybe you added some delay yourself?).
    I think if you can send from one MIDI channel to more than one destination then in setup (1) you can send the same Virus MIDI channel to both the Virus and the dummy external MIDI device (which will send the MIDI data nowhere but might create a linkage that will keep the target channel soloed as well).
    Good luck.

• This is interesting, because usually in a setup such as this, the analog channels play too early due to delay compensation - even in LIVE mode where the time difference is really short (maybe you added some delay yourself?).
    I think if you can send from one MIDI channel to more than one destination then in setup (1) you can send the same Virus MIDI channel to both the Virus and the dummy external MIDI device (which will send the MIDI data nowhere but might create a linkage that will keep the target channel soloed as well).
    Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your reply and help :)

In regards to timing, I too had a similar experience to you. The analog outs would play out early if you enable monitoring via your audio interface which doesn't get compensated by the DAW. But when routing the audio into audio tracks or external instruments within Cubase and incur the latency and delay compensation of the DAW, everything plays perfectly in sync :)

I've tried 2 approaches to get Solo to work:

• Using a MIDI send to send the MIDI from the Virus TI MIDI channel to the dummy MIDI channel. Unfortunately, Cubase doesn't seem to look at the sends when you solo the MIDI track though, so the associated dummy MIDI track (and the extra Virus audio channels) unfortunately didn't follow my Solo.
    • Create a dummy MIDI channel that's hooked up to the dummy MIDI device and grouped it with the Virus MIDI channel. Unfortunately, this lead to unexpected and erratic behaviour when using the Solo button (a bug perhaps?) ... so that didn't help either.

I've checked out a few other DAWs to see if any can do it, and I think that most simply can't, especially those that make a clear distinction between MIDI and audio tracks. I'm just downloading the Ableton live demo to see if it can do it as I suspect that maybe it can.

A TI3 with USB2/USB3 and 16 USB outputs would resolve this problem. It would also be ideal if there was a way to use the Virus Control plugin in a non-multitimbral way since that always causes more work in DAWs like Cubase.

• Alrgihty, I have a solution!! :)

Solo Defeat is the answer to my woes here. Simply hold down Alt and click Solo on each of the the External Instrument Audio channels.

This will ensure that the channels are always audible, regardless of which channels are soloed.