TI Polar (1) Ablton Live & Behringer BCR2000 - Automate over Multiple Arp ON/OFF to BCR Buttons Via Live 8

• I am using Ableton Live 8, a BCR2000 and my Virus TI POlar (first version). I use the BCR to control multiple sounds in the Virus at the same time. With the BCR front end it makes manipulating multiple cutoffs, amplifier section, FX and such a real dream on the stage. I can tweak multiple parameters on multiple Virus channels simultaneously. Its pretty epic and I highly sugest getting one of these controllers if you are a live performance tweaker.

So here is my issue...

I want to be able to map the first 6 Virus parts across the first top 6 buttons on the BCR2000. With other parameters I can map no problem on the Virus. With this "Arp ON" button on the face of the virus no good. When I go into virus control there really is not a button for this either... just a pull down menu in the arp section to choose the type of arp mode (up, down, as played... off and so on). So it looks like the only real place is the virus front end panel for this operation.

My question is does this parameter on the TI Polar put out any MIDI control data? If so what is its CC number and I am guessing on and off is 0 / 127 respectively? I am thinking there must be a work around here some place... It would be really dumb to not be able to turn this on or off... I even notice that the "hold" button in the Virus Control also says "this parameter cannot be automated." Really?! There must be a ay around this.

Work arounds, settings or tweaks to get this to work with the BCR2000 on multiple Virus parts?!?

• Looking at the manual for the Virus C, the arp parameters are the first 5 on page B (the TI is backward compatible). Page B parameters can be sent and received as either sysEx messages (default) or note aftertouch (re-used because the synth doesn't respond to them) - this can be configured on the MIDI pages of the config menu.
    Please note the following:
    - Arp mode (page B param 1) is not just on and off, instead of 'on' you should select what mode you want.
    - To get the MIDI message sequence right it is easier to try and generate this parameter change on the Virus, capture it with your DAW, and analyze the event on your MIDI editor.
    - sysEx messages are sent and received on the global channel. The part number they correspond to is part of the data they carry.
    Hope this helps.

• I used SysEx Librarian and I pressed record and then pressed the "Arp ON" button on my TI. This is what I captured.

"
    00 F0 00 20 33 01 10 71 40 0F 01 F7 | 3 q@ |

MD5 checksum: 7574694a924291463756bfc22449e21d
    SHA-1 checksum: 2d4354752a1292f2bb0e702b14eb0ab69078de94
    "

Honestly I have no idea what I am looking at. It would be easy if Ableton just could see this MIDI information. I wonder why the SysEx editor can but not ableton live. Is this even the correct information? And if so how do I get my BCR via the USB to control my Virus TI through the Live interface like I am the other parameters?

• It would be easy if Ableton just could see this MIDI information. I wonder why the SysEx editor can but not ableton live. [...] how do I get my BCR via the USB to control my Virus TI through the Live interface like I am the other parameters?

Make sure that Live does not filter sysEx messages in its MIDI configuration. Also note that sysEx messages are not necessarily sent and received on the channel you are playing, so channel filtering and re-direction should be checked as well.

00 F0 00 20 33 01 10 71 40 0F 01 F7

F0 - sysEx start
    00 20 33 - MAnufacturer ID = Access/Kemper
    01 - Product ID = Virus
    10 - device ID = Omni (all Viruses will listen - If you have more than one Virus you can configure them so that you can tell them apart)
    71 - Parameter change = Bank B (Virus TI patches have 4 banks, and there are global and multi banks as well)
    40 - Edit buffer used = Single mode
    0F - Parameter number = Not covered by Virus C
    01 - Parameter value = ??
    F7 - sysEx end
    Try to capture the sysEx string of turning on and off, changing ARP modes, and you'll have the complete picture. You can still find more info in the Virus C manual.