Ableton Push & Live 9 integration with Virus TI

• Having recently bought Ableton Push I thought I'd do my best to get it working nicely with my Virus TI Snow. The sample Ableton Live project that comes with the Virus TI still works but it's a bit out of date and of course doesn't integrate totally with Push. I'm starting this thread so Ableton Push and Virus TI users can post tips for integration.

• I've been using Robert Henke's "Control Change 8" MIDI effect to map Push's knobs to common parameters of the Virus TI. Alas it's a Max 4 Live device so it's a solution that's limited to Suite owners or those who have added it on to Standard. You can get Control Change 8 and other M4L devices by Henke here:

Robert Henke's Max 4 Live Patches

I added one of these to each of the MIDI tracks that feeds the Virus TI VST. I mapped the knobs to filter cutoff, resonance, and some of the most common soft knob mappings that I've seen in patches. Alas the soft knob mappings tend to vary but thankfully not outside of about five different CCs. The most common CCs that I've seen soft knobs mapped to are 1 (Mod), 3, 6, 12, and 13. I also have Filter Cutoff (CC #40), Filter Resonance (CC #42), and Osc Volume (CC #36) mapped on the Control Change 8. I then wrap the Control Change 8 in an Instrument Rack so all 8 parameters show up for the corresponding track on the Push.

The other thing that seems to be different in Live 9 is that the I/O section for a MIDI Track can only send Audio, it can't forward MIDI to another track. So what I do instead is use an External Instrument in my device chain to send the MIDI to the VST track. Again, because the VST track is just a MIDI track, I create a final Audio track so I can record audio output from the Virus. Then finally I wrapped it all up into a track group for ease of collapsing.

This link will download the ALS file, feel free to use it:
    Ableton Live 9 Project with Push and Virus TI Snow

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if this ALS file will work perfectly with your setup. Remember, it needs Ableton Live 9 and Max 4 Live and you'll most likely need to download the "Control Change 8" M4L device from the first link. Because I reference an M4L device and a VST, I'm not certain if Live will be smart enough to pick these out of your user library. Finally, I'm making use of the TI Snow VST, which may or may not work out if you have a Desktop, Keyboard, or Polar edition.

If you make any changes to the project for efficiency and/or performance I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you would share!

• The fundamentals
    - I recommend booting the virus after all other audio interfaces and before booting live. I never had a conflict between push and the Virus so you can hotplug the Push after having booted your Virus.- Drop the vst Virus Control (VC) on a channel. Play a few notes to check if the Virus Control correctly booted.
    - Activate the LIVE button on VC Control to have a better latency.
    You can now play.

Mapping knobs on the Push
    - Choose a few parameters to add to Push knobs. As I have the Virus TI Desktop, I only chose knobs buried in the interface and not the classic cutoff and resonance.
    - Then click on Configure on the VC box (you may have to click, turn the knobs on the VC or on the unit you want to map. They should appear.
    - Wrap it inside a group to be able to access it from the Push "Add Track Menu.
    - I didn't figure out a solution to add another part with the VC and the Push.

Making it expressive
    - I recommend focusing on the Velocity On, Aftertouch & Pitch Bend when you program your patch and map Mod Wheel on the first soft knob.
    - I was not able to get Velocity off to work with the Push.

Have fun!

• I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I still am unable to map push controls to the Virus TI parameters. I tried using the Robert Henke Max 4 Live patch in Live 9 but couldn't successfully map this.

It would be amazing if you could have more control of Virus parameters with the Push.