Virus TI2 sounds terrible using VC - Sound Aliasing all over the place.

• Hi there,

I'm having serious problems using the Virus TI2 within Logic here. The sound is terrible and "Aliasing" badly. Does anyone know what's causing this? This happens when i'm using the Virus Control plug-in but not when i just plug headphones in the back of the unit then the sound is crystal clear.
    I'm using Logic X 10.0.3 here and the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface. No idea what's going on here but my Virus sounds worse than the worst soft synth ever whilst using it in plug-in mode.

Thanks

Rob

• sounds like your midi input via the DAW is playing the synth twice. sending 2 sets of midi on this.make double sure you are using the virus synth for your midi input otherwise its possible its still using 2 sets of data to play.i dont have logic i havecubase but if my inputs are set to ALL, then this is where i would get double triggering. worth a look as its a simple fix.

• sounds like your midi input via the DAW is playing the synth twice. sending 2 sets of midi on this.make double sure you are using the virus synth for your midi input otherwise its possible its still using 2 sets of data to play.i dont have logic i havecubase but if my inputs are set to ALL, then this is where i would get double triggering. worth a look as its a simple fix.

Hi there, tried all that and also tried in Cubase 7 and Studio One and still the same issue here. The sound is like a slow LFO effect in the filters (really annoying) sounds worse than the worst soft synth i ever heard. Not sure what else to try as all my other hardware and software synths are just sounding perfect. Will have to try other stuff here now.
    Thanks for the input.

Rob

• how are your outputs setup?
    are you outputting to usb 1+2 , or out 1+2 via the your Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.
    or do you get the same result on both? i would try both see, if you get a different result.
    ( generally though if you have a usb AI then it must be on a different usb bus to virus and id avoid using usb audio on the virus)

are you just using one patch on midi 1 ?
    , ( i assume since your using VC you are not putting local keyboard on)

• how are your outputs setup?
    are you outputting to usb 1+2 , or out 1+2 via the your Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.
    or do you get the same result on both? i would try both see, if you get a different result.
    ( generally though if you have a usb AI then it must be on a different usb bus to virus and id avoid using usb audio on the virus)

are you just using one patch on midi 1 ?
    , ( i assume since your using VC you are not putting local keyboard on)

Hi there,

I'm not new to the virus here my polar which i had for 3yrs seemed to work perfectly inside my daw although i'm now on a mc. However when in Logic or Cubase here i have the Virus Control setup as follows:

Midi 1 to usb 1 L+R
    Midi 2 to usb 2 L+R
    Midi 3 to usb 3 L+R

all this is going out to the 18i8

I get the same result every time whether it be Cubase/Logic or Studio One, also the same just using the macs onboard audio here. I have tried the Mopho x4 and Bass Station 2 with all this and these sound perfect. The Virus Control must have something to do with this IMO. If i just plug headphones into the back of the virus then the sound is crystal clear.
    I also get horrible clicks when using the Virus control in Logic, not in Cubase though. So basically my Virus sounds like some cheap and horrible soft synth rather than what it really is.
    I'll keep trying, maybe swap the USB ports around as i currently have it connected to the USB 3.0 port on the mac. I'll try the Virus in the back of the Thunderbolt monitor now and see if that's any different.

Thanks again

Rob

• PS

After changing usb ports i now get a message when booting Logic X. Never known anything like this tbh first time iv'e run in to any problems with this synth.

"A device called "Bass Station II" sharing the same USB root hub with the Virus TI has been detected. This is a potential problem and might cause sync errors and audible artefacts when using Total Integration. Try to solve the problem by using another USB port instead.
    Root hubs are usually inside your computer and therefore cannot be recognised easily as hubs. Trying out other USB ports for the Virus TI might solve the problem. By changing the USB layout and hitting the Rescan button you can evaluate if the problem persists."

So basically i can't use the Bass Station with the Virus on the same Mac even though different usb ports (USB 3.0)

I can use the Mopho x4 and Bass Station in these ports though. Ah gonna have the night off this is a bit of a joke now, will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Rob

• yes, i had similar problems and used the support, which didn't solve my problem. Essentially i was told that the problem is with how Mac's have internal Hubs that share with the camera, Card reader etc. Also, the virus is a usb 1 device, regardless of compatability, this I believe is the main problem, there's just not enough bandwidth. I have given up using it over USB for audio and have gone to midi cables as just using it for USB midi, it loses connection, repeats notes etc. Good concept when it came out, but I've never been able to get it to work properly, sync the arp.

• yes, i had similar problems and used the support, which didn't solve my problem. Essentially i was told that the problem is with how Mac's have internal Hubs that share with the camera, Card reader etc. Also, the virus is a usb 1 device, regardless of compatability, this I believe is the main problem, there's just not enough bandwidth. I have given up using it over USB for audio and have gone to midi cables as just using it for USB midi, it loses connection, repeats notes etc. Good concept when it came out, but I've never been able to get it to work properly, sync the arp.

if you put an USB2 hub in between the virus and your mac you will not run into bandwidth issues. you can read up on this in the setup tutorial. the problem some of us face by now is that most USB2 hubs can deal with multiple 12mbit USB devices but that do share ONE 12mbit "connection" among all of them. therefore you need to connect an USB2 hub in between to trick the root hub to think the device connected is faster than 12mbit. this might sound a bit weird but it is a common phenomena every 12mbit device shares when connected to certain root hubs.

best, marc

Hi there,

Think i'll be using the Virus over midi cables too here until i sort something out. The dropouts here for me are terrible too so it's back to the old midi cable and audio outs. I just picked up a Belkin USB hub this morning it came from the Apple Store so i'll try that first as the poster Marc above said.
    Thanks for the advice here it's much appreciated. Will let you know how it goes with the huib.

Rob

• Update:

Just tested the Virus by connecting to a USB 2.0 hub but no joy it didn't do the trick. Still sounds terrible here among all my other synths using USB.
    So back to the midi way of doing things. The Virus Control is basically useless for me now on a Mac was okay on windows.

Cheers anyways

Rob

• Why not use VC and midi over USB, but use analogue outputs via your AI
    You get the benefits of the UI but reduce USB load ( as Audio is main culprit )
    I'm sure you have thought of this, but interested if this doesn't solve the problem or if you have other reasons.

I'm sure you have thought of this, but interested if this doesn't solve the problem or if you have other reasons.

Hi this is exactly how i'm using the Virus now. Outs from the back of the unit direct in to the Focusrite.. Sounds perfect now thanks.

Rob

Yeah, have tried that, but have more latency and the midi drover drops, so I have to turn the virus off and on again, to be picked up by Logic. Also, if I play, for example 8th notes repeatedly, i'll get random notes dropping out, then play all at once, like a buffer is being filled then playing all at once...is a nightmare trying to play leads or chords...doesn't matter if I use another controller keyboard to play the virus, same thing happens. Have re-installed loads of times, but only seem to have this happen since v5 of the os, but can't use old os4 as VC isn't compatible with Mountain Lion...Just installed CTRLR that has an editor for the virus, so may try that today. USB hub didn't do anything either.