VIRUS TI snow, sound of LFO Controlled noise all the time?

• A few of the suggestions already given for this issue in this thread:

Go through the configuration menu to see if by any chance the input thru option is enabled and/or the input boost is set too high. If this is not the case, you might be using a noisy USB port. In this case try another port or connect the Virus through a USB filter.

could it be mains interference rather than an LFO?
    ( perhaps try away from other devices, different location )
    Do you get but through analogue outs and headphones?

Try another USB cable anyway, though whitenoise is unlikely from a digital cable,
    More likely generated on virus , hence important to check other outs.

ah, ok, so you are only getting this whitenoise with some specific patches...
    you might be getting a 'lfo' effect (phasing) from detuing, either of oscillators or the unison - try altering the detune amount, if its this, then the amount of detune will affect the phases, i.e. rate will alter.

• From what I hear this is a 2 oscillator sound and the oscillators are 12 semitones apart. The "noise" you hear is the high frequency harmonics of different sources interacting with each other - sometimes amplifying, sometimes canceling (lower frequencies do it to, but we hear it as phasing).
    Things you can do:
    1. In the OSC page you can set osc2 detune to 0 and set phase init to a number instead of off, so that the phase difference between the oscillators is constant and the phasing effect will always sound the same.
    2. In the osc page, sync osc2 to osc1 - this will make the oscillators behave like one.
    3. The high frequencies of the tail (amp. env. release) of the last note interacts with the current note. Try mono instead of poly, or shorten the tail.
    4. Filter out the high frequencies so that they don't bother you.
    Hope this helps!

• i have the exact same problem... its like a small small lfo thing in the background on my virus TI. i run logic pro 9 on my mac fyi... i'm not sure why... but it seems like its on leadsounds and some high pitch bass sounds.... also my virus are shutting down all the time.... so much for "the best hardware synth in the world" ......i like it though.... to bad theres so much trouble with it......

• i have the exact same problem... its like a small small lfo thing in the background on my virus TI. i run logic pro 9 on my mac fyi... i'm not sure why... but it seems like its on leadsounds and some high pitch bass sounds.... also my virus are shutting down all the time.... so much for "the best hardware synth in the world" ......i like it though.... to bad theres so much trouble with it......

please contact access support by email if your virus is shutting down all the time. you might want to consider a hardware issue.
    best, marc

• I have exactly the same problem!!
    i'm on a imac 27 running logic 9 and osx mountain lion.
    With the same patch when i switch to the analog output, no problem but when it's usb output i have this "LFO white noise issue".
    Dj resal

• Good afternoon all,

I had the same problem after updating my virus to the latest beta.

I think there is a bug with the white noise oscillator itself...

Those of you who have upgraded to the latest OS, try taking an INIt patch, turn the noise oscillator volume up and turn the osc vol/saturation slider to the left (to isolate the noise).
    If you listen carefully, what do you hear?

At this point I am getting what sounds like an oscillator superimposed on the noise signal; it falls in pitch and rises again.
    It is VERY repeatable, and ALL modulations are OFF (I checked).

NOTE: only happen over usb; hardware outputs are fine.

Have a look at the patches giving you problems guys, does it use the white noise osc? If so, remove it, has the problem gone?

If this is the case, there is a simple fix, do as I did and put the released version back on (problem solved).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Aron

• I have just listened to the .mp3 that the OP uploaded and this is EXACTLY the same sound I was referring to in the above post; its the noise OSC when streaming over USB (Hardware outs are fine).
    I suggest the OP downgrades from the latest beta OS version, and uses the last stable OS.

Cheers,

Aron.

• I have the exact same noise error! And I just got my virus TI2 Desktop ;(
    Should I return it or will this be fixed??

Hi mate, na don't return it as it isn't broke in the first place! You simply have the BETA operating system on it.
    BETA OS versions are tested by Access, but very much still in the development stage... bugs are to be expected.
    To void problems in future, only download the released OS... you will find it in the download area, look for OS 5.0.3.00

Hope this helps mate,

Aron.

• Hi mate, na don't return it as it isn't broke in the first place! You simply have the BETA operating system on it.
    BETA OS versions are tested by Access, but very much still in the development stage... bugs are to be expected.
    To void problems in future, only download the released OS... you will find it in the download area, look for OS 5.0.3.00

Hope this helps mate,

Aron.

Thx for the quick answer!

Ok I downloaded the 5.0.3.00 version, I use mac OSX btw.
    Should I just run the installer just like that? or should i do something else first before installing?

• Thx for the quick answer!

Ok I downloaded the 5.0.3.00 version, I use mac OSX btw.
    Should I just run the installer just like that? or should i do something else first before installing?

Hi there,

you can the installer as is, but be aware that you may lose the patches you created.
    As such I advise always to backup your patches before doing an os update.

When you run the software, it will tell you what to do.

cheers,

Aron.

• Hi I'm not quite sure if my problem fits this thread entirely but I guess all distorted sound as a result of phase-ing by detuning multiple voices, could be described as an LFO type sound.

See signature for system specs. I have the same issue on both PC and Macbook, so i doubt the setup is the issue, also using different USB cables.

Here's a link to the sound issue:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8iqf…e2%20Patch%20probleem.mp3

Now obviously this is a heavy patch, and so stressing the patch with playing multiple keys makes the issue more evident. However. I've tried to really cut the patch down. removed all reverb, delay, release, unison. But it's like the patch is corrupted I keep hearing this clipping like distortion.

Also I get the same over USB1 L+R as the Analog outputs.

The strange thing is, my friend and I built this patch and he thought it odd because his Snow was able to handle it fine.

If it helps I'm fine with sending my Virus over for repairs. But I have a feeling this isn't something mechanical.

Thnx in advance.

Ralph

Virus TI(1) Desktop OS 5.0.4.0.2

Sequencers: Cubase 7, Studio One 2
    PC, Windows 8.1 64bit
    i7 4770k @4.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, Samsung 830 SSD
    Presonus Firestudio Mobile (firewire over PCI-e Texas Instrument chipset)
    Virus on USB 2.0

Macbook Pro mid 2012, MacOS 10.9
    i5 2.5 GHz, Intel SSD 256, 4 GB DDR3
    Onboard sound
    Virus on USB 3.0

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von phye ()

• phye, In order to see if the distortion is part of the patch or not, turn down the patch volume and see if the distortion intensity stays the same relative to the overall volume, or if it cleans up the sound. In the second case also check to see if the clipping occurs inside you DAW. BTW this is not the same problem as the OP, they talk about a hiss that endlessly comes and goes in 5.0.4, but not 5.0.3.