Help! Controlling Snow from MC 303– set midi channel?

• Hi forum–

I'm trying to play sounds on my virus using the admittedly dinky "keyboard" on the MC 303–

I've set the MC 303 channel (on this unit, the part # becomes the midi channel #)
    connected them via midi, and now I want to set the midi channel on the virus to the same as the MC 303

This seems to be such a simple thing, but I've found no info on the quickstart manual, the regular manual, or anywhere else...

And I'm not really up on the multi vs sequencer vs single concept, so if you could–
    please explain the process as you would to a small child or an oraungutan. :P

thank you

MW

• I assume this is a Virus TI. In this case you can set the Midi channel for the Virus TI in the CONFIG menu (the button to the left of the display). In the CONFIG menu use the PARAMETER buttons to switch between the different menu entries until you see the Midi entries. Besides setting the Midi channel I would also recommend to set the TI into SINGLE MODE for an initial test and check if the Virus displays a note symbol in the display when playing on the MC-303 keyboard. If this is a quarter note symbol, then the Virus receives Midi notes on the correct Midi channel. If this is a half note symbol, then the Virus does not get the Midi notes on the correct Midi channel (respectively the Virus is not set to the correct Midi channel).

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Hi !

Thank you for your help ! I did a mistake in the hardware midi configuration, now all channels are working after I made a factory reset.

One problem is still happening : if I play long midi notes from my midi controller, it sounds ok, but for no reason, in a ableton midi clip, the virus does not play the whole note, like something is cutting the midi signal so it plays shorter notes. If I turn it off and on, the virus plays the long notes and few minutes later it is the same, long notes are randomly cut...
    Same thing if the midi clip contains 2 long notes playing one after the other, with no silence inbetween the second note is not played.
    I thought my midi usb adapter was crap but I have the same issue with the usb cable
    Any idea ?

• Hello
    I used in the past the Groovebox 303 from memory it is not (original) all midi. For the TI, unfortunately you will discover that in MULTI or SEQ mode above 5 tracks, if you play with chords here and there it does what you describe. You can use MULTI a little to overcome it: choose "HIGTH" and not "LOW" (= SHIFT+EDIT\ Priority)

• Hello
    I used in the past the Groovebox 303 from memory it is not (original) all midi. For the TI, unfortunately you will discover that in MULTI or SEQ mode above 5 tracks, if you play with chords here and there it does what you describe. You can use MULTI a little to overcome it: choose "HIGTH" and not "LOW" (= SHIFT+EDIT\ Priority)

You are referring to a different issue: Voice stealing, which is related to polyphony and complexity of sounds.

The issue described here is note truncation which happens also if playing just one note of a single monophonic sound. It’s unrelated to polyphony or patch complexity and usually starts to happen after using the Virus for a while. It’s not restricted to MIDI but also happens when using the Virus in TI mode. Actually, I always thought it was a problem of the TI implementation only. I usually have to close and reopen the Cubase project to get rid of this issue.

Together with note truncation, inaccurate timing of note attack can often be observed as well.

BTW, this is a 10 year old thread, it would have been better to create a new one.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+