Virus Ti..Ability to toggle midi mode?

• I think the answer is no, but just to check..

When my Virus Ti 2 Polar remains connected via USB, at any time a DAW (or other USB midi oriented program) opens, the Virus disables midi in from the synth sound section (as it gets redirected to Ti-midi port) . This occurs even if the program is not using the Virus..

Other synths have the ability to select the midi source for the sound engine so the quick question is.. Is there a way to (from the Virus) to toggle the USB midi on/off ?.. well, what I want is to have midi midi ON, but I realize this cant happen when USB mode is active:)

thx

• Actually, this happens right after the USB connection is established. The Virus starts acting as a soundcard, so its MIDI ports belong to the computer now. If you want to play the synth engine with the MIDI input you need to close the loop - so to speak - using your DAW/application/utility and send the Virus MIDI input to the Virus Synth output.
    Hope this helps.

• thanks for the confirmation, it operates as I suspected.

I am not sure you are completely correct?.... In my case, this does not happen when a USB connection is established.. the Virus can be plugged in via USB, and as it is not the audio device for the system the sound generator can play via the midi ports. The midi ports are shut off when a program is launched that uses the USB midi ports.

There are plenty of times, and about 50 this last week alone, where I needed to play through midi vs USB.. to make a comparison of sequenced tracks between Sonar and an MC-808, and shutting a large DAW project down just to do this was getting towards being irritating.. and thanks for the workaround suggestion, yes I know I could do that but a0 this represented a standalone/live application vs computer application comparison and b) adding a random extra 8 loop tracks to a client project simply to overcome a limitation of the virus connectivity wasn't a solid option... I would have had to hide them, then I would have forgot about them and then totally pooped myself sometime later when obscure stuff started to happen!..

fyi, other synths easily manage this, even those which also support USB audio and I don't have to disconnect usb or shut down programs to use those synths :). I guess I can put in a feature request and see what happens....