Mavericks Users?

• As Totty says "In Logic X I get regular but intermittent clicks upon playback and
    programming. This type of click I am 80-90% sure is an interruption
    TI/VC communication over USB. The core result of this audible click is a
    "wobble" of pitch (as if the tempo/timing info is being resynchronised)
    along with any delay line present exacerbating the problem."

I get the warbled pitch thing going on and USB Driver being kicked out, so have to restart Logic and the Ti

• Bit Accurate driver used - the core audio version has horrendous latency
    Resulting latency @ 128 samples is 14.5 roundtrip / 8.2ms output

the "bit accurate" driver is a bit faster here as well, that's why i prefer it myself. i got identical values to yours displayed here. the "core audio" version performs at about 50ms roundtrip where 35ms is for the output at 128 samples I/O buffer size. but i don't get anything close to 250ms. i have the virus selected for both, the input and output device but i don't know if that makes a difference.

what i found though is that after you change the driver, you need to hit "transport stop" two times. this will force the virus to analyze the USB connection and adjust to it. you can see a "SE" popping up in the lower right corner of the virus' display when it does that. this is generally a good trick if you run into a situation where you suddenly face a high latency. it also helps, if the arp doesn't trigger right (which is caused by the same phenomena).

hth, marc

• Hi

The first problem I'm getting is the USB root hub problem. I'd also like to know how to use the 16 parts of the virus in ableton live 9 or logic x?
    I'm totally new to this, so please explain in detail if you can.
    Thank you very much!!

• Hi, I'm back :) I tried what you said Marc and possibly it sorts out playback but no word of a lie, less than a minute into playing back a looped sequence there's a click and then the pitch wobbles down and up again (as if resynchronising).

Whilst I appreciate your advice Marc, this hasn't resolved the cause of my core issue of this sporadic loss in pitch stability and the click(s) that go with it. If I knew for sure that a TI2 fixed this issue, I would buy one, but as there is no evidence I can see on this forum or others that this is the case, it's one hell of a gamble to make with 2k, even if I sold my TI1...

Maybe some don't notice this (I can't imagine how) or there are some of us with some sort of clocking hardware fault - magikroom being one, and another person I discussed with on Gearslutz who had the same issue with a TI1 and a Snow and now only uses the analog outs.

How do I know? I don't have the answer. Maybe Marc you could advise me if you think it may be a solvable issue by sending in for service, or whether there this is definitely something to do with USB communication and not hardware related. I appreciate you can't diagnose this on a forum, but you guys must have a good amount of research into various known troubles with the TI over the years and what their causes are. I sometimes wonder if something was silently fixed on the TI2 line wrt clocking. That is pure speculation on my part, but I have only straws left to grasp to with this.

Cheers

• Maybe some don't notice this (I can't imagine how) or there are some of us with some sort of clocking hardware fault

Unfortunately, I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion there is a hardware design issue with clocking, I've had issues which support have not given me satisfactory answers too:
    a) spdif clock sync issue - clock problem error
    b) using spdif as fx loop, requiring resampling
    c) midi timing issues via physical inputs , basically you send more data thru midi, the timing goes out the window
    d) 48khz vs 44 khz throws up issues.

it could be these are all just firmware issues, but they crop up from lots of people on here regularly, and have for years… so I conclude that perhaps its not that Access, do not want to fix them, but there is some underlying problem.

Ive tried to resolve with support, but I increasingly get frustrated.
    I provide detailed and exact information, and perform thorough isolation tests, even trying on multiple macs (I'm a programmer by trade),
    but seems to always results in the same… we cannot reproduce, its your hardware, its your audio interface etc.. despite other users reporting the same thing.

this is not a criticism of access support, I really think they try really hard to help… :thumbup:
    but it feels like they don't have the development resources to support them, perhaps the dev team has moved on to other more current projects…

as for TI2, no way would I risk it, these issues have been repeated by people with TI2… i don't see any evidence that its only TI1 owners complaining.
    its a crying shame :(

• Hi thetechnobear,

I feel your pain, I really really do :thumbdown:

On your specific issues:

• spdif - I've never attempted to use the spdif on my Virus so I can't really add much to that I'm afraid...

• Midi timing - I may be able to add some info on this, although as I've predominantly been working in VC, I've never pushed the Virus over regular midi. However I have "previous" with a Roland JV2080. A couple of things - sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but here goes:

Midi is always serial so events/notes will never occur together, but rather as a fast burst of events. Depending on the types of sounds played this could be noticeable if many midi notes are played sequentially.

When I had a JV2080 years ago I learnt that if certain simultaneous events occurred on a patch with snappy envelopes and/or lots of modulation that the timing would get worse, in the case of the 2080 to the point that it was so noticeable it was unusable for certain sounds. My theory which was partially acknowledged by Roland at the time was that the sound engine/dsp could only cope with a certain amount of complexity in the patches before something had to give. After this, envelopes seemed to loose resolution, timing would be sloppy as the dsp was choking on processing data, lfos would become coarser and rougher in their cyclic motion and overall sound quality and timing suffered. In this case of the Virus, it's a different synth with totally different architecture, but I have an inkling that some of what I've said above holds true. I've heard a fast lfo on one of my patches audibly change when another part was playing (only 2 parts). To hear it more I reduced the volume of the other patch and then muted/unmuted it - I could here the lfo control rate audibly suffer when played together. This was in VC. As VC is sample accurate, the synth is "forced" to play simultaneous events together and, depending on patch complexity this may or may not be noticeable. With midi, it's possible that events could be "loosened" slightly to work around this - but yeah this is pure speculation. I guess without this sort of optimisation, the polyphony would be much lower overall as the dsps would always have to account for the possibility of the most complex sort of patches playing together.

• 44khz/48khz issues - I'm mainly sticking to 44k atm with VC piped via usb and output on my Fireface, but I've had mixed success with 48k.

Like you, I'm not attempting to beat up on Access, I appreciate what a tough job it must be to chase a moving OS target with drivers etc. The reason why I'm still persevering after 7 years is that I love the Virus sound, it hasn't tired on me and I want to use it as much as I did when I first got it, however from time to time it all gets me totally frustrated. In fact until this January I had it boxed up for 6 months or so, but I keep coming back :thumbup:

• I agree with your sentiments, I love the Virus… so my goal is always just to work around any issues… and in the main i have, just the every now and then it bites back :)

midi, this is bit of an odd one, over usb its fine… just the physical port, which theoretically should be no different (within the confines of serial midi specs), and it happens when the virus is under light dsp load (i.e. a few voices). it could possibly be my midi hub, though seems unlikely.

my point was really, regarding timing… things like clocks (including midi) and audio samples should be rock steady and in step with one another at all times, when processing load gets too high (as it always can in a digital world), you should be kicking out other processing (e.g. notes) but never sacrifice the timing.

again, I know Access know all this, and I'm sure the design largely is based around this… but deep down there seems to be some issues (and it is not an easy area to get right) … its just a pity there is not an acknowledgement of some of these issues, even if its just "yes, we know its an issue, but its not going to be fixed due to x,y,z"

anyway, no big issue, i'll continue to report issues… work within the limitations the virus sets, and enjoy its sonic goodness :)

• How do I know? I don't have the answer. Maybe Marc you could advise me if you think it may be a solvable issue by sending in for service, or whether there this is definitely something to do with USB communication and not hardware related. I appreciate you can't diagnose this on a forum, but you guys must have a good amount of research into various known troubles with the TI over the years and what their causes are. I sometimes wonder if something was silently fixed on the TI2 line wrt clocking. That is pure speculation on my part, but I have only straws left to grasp to with this.

no, there never was a silent hardware fix. main boards go through revisions, for instance when parts are being discontinued and need to be replaced with never versions. but so far we are lucky and we didn't have such an issue with the TI2. contact me through access support. let's work on it. maybe i can playback an arrangement of yours on my system and we see how it behaves.

marc

• Hi, first post here, but been using a Ti 2 on 10.6.8 for about 3 years now, logic has always seemed to never quite handle the VC as well as ableton which has been working very well for ages now. However my mbp was getting quite old and it was time for a new machine,

I now have,

mac mini 2.3ghz I7
    Apogee Duet 1
    Live 9.1
    bitwig 1.0.5

after first installing the virus and transferring a project file, i was very happy to hear my patch i had just designed on my previous machine working correctly on 10.9.2.
    This was all made only using the physical interface, i continued to mess around with the patch.
    Opening up the VC caused things to get weird. Browsing patches caused

Stuck / gliding notes
    Distortion / bitcrushing

Interestingly, and on a side note i have been having problems with the duet (even before on 10.6.8) with a grounding problem , easily identifiable when touching the fire wire port on the back of the duet.
    has driven me up the wall for ages, the virus sound card issue solved that straight away (this is still when using a mbp and 10.6.8)
    Aftter switching to the new machine this noise is amplified (as if feeding back) as soon as the virus is switched on, it stays constant even without a DAW open.
    When a daw is open, and volume is turned up the digital noise (similar to a fax / modem /computer transmission ext) feedback on itself. it gets uncomfortable and can't be drowned out by the music when turning volume up.

so yeah. new computer . bad ground loop. no virus. no sound card , running audio out into my monitors . . . not sure which version of VC i was using on 10.6.8 before if i even wanted to revert. little bit upset!

has anyone expericed similar issues that could offer any advice???

• Hi everyone,
    since i´ve updated to mavericks i have latency problems when i choose the second and third outputs on my virus in USB mode.

Only the main out work fine in usb mode.
    I´ve updated my RME Fireface but still got the issues

RME Fireface UCX
    Ableton Live 9.1
    Imac I7- 3,4 ghz

any suggestions?

• Hi all, it is very pity that i cannot use TI without issues.
    Anyway, i have the Bradn new iMac 27".

I have installed the latest OS on my Virus TI 5.0.8

I have the following picture. For Cubase Elements 7.
    I can use Virus TI as a VTS instrument. But cannot record the track inside the project.
    Maybe its about the same described issue. But, can you please advice something?!

To be clear, i am connecting TI as VST instrument, create a midi track and record the roll.
    After that i am adding one more track, audio track and play that virus track and wanna record it as audio.
    But the recorded result is a sort of distortioned noise...

Regards,

Virus user