would u use a virus Ti Polar on stage ?

• Hello all,

I have a virus ti 1 polar for a couple of year. Firsti had loads of problems cos of the usb hub inside my iMac, but now, it's working fine in the studio.

But i was wondering if this system would be stable enough to use on stage.

So i was curious to hear about your experiences :)

I'd use it with a macbook pro i5, ableton live 8 and some other controllers like maschine and ipad.

i'd love to hear from you
    thank you

• I would use it live on a properly configured Mac/PC but most people do not have their computers set up correctly, and blame Access for being the culprit of their USB issues, which to be fair some of it is down to Virus USB limitations in bandwith because it is USB 1.1. But on a properly configured computer this issue can be overcome and made reliable.Remember the Virus is a lot older than your latest fancy PC/iMacs etc...with USB 3 and fast processors, lots of RAM, but if you set it up as Access recommends you should be fine for live use. I have never used mine live, but i would not use the built in USB soundcard, use an external one and physical analogue outs on virus, thus freeing up the USB for Midi only and not Midi & Audio which causes the bottle necks most people experience.

Im sure there will be lots of comments about disasterous events though.. as well as some positive outcomes 8)

• thanks a lot for your point of view Musikman.
    I've also posted the same question on a french forum and yeah, looks like i'm not the only one to use Vcontrol live, but using the unit in midi seems pretty popular.

let's see what other people says :)

• My immediate response was going to be NO WAY!

But that's only because of latency issues and needing to resync all the time, well and the infamous crackle, anywho, before I understood how to set it up to utilize the 16 channels playing simultaneously, I would just run 1/8" outs to my interface. That was the ticket for getting the massive sculpting power on the fly without having to deal with VC (or any software at all for that matter).

I've brought it to jam with friends (mostly to show off :P ) and come to think of it I really like the freedom of not having all the perimeters readily accessible because then its more about playing.

So to sum it up: Yes I'd use it live but only if I was not using USB and I had all my patches cued to the beginning of the library and had practiced each knowing what I was going to do with it. But I don't think thats why you own a TI. I think its really meant for studio use.

I think I remember seeing an older one briefly in the setup for a massive show in a Radiohead documentary.

• I use my Virus Keyboard live intergrated with live 9 all the time.

My set up is:
    Access Virus as my main synth USB connected to my Mac book pro.
    I use it as my soundcard for live.
    I dont use the Virus plug in though.
    My patch changes on the Virus are done using lives clips.
    Live does all its audio, which for me is backing tracks and an NI Piano which I use the Virus to play/control. Then the audio from Live comes out of the Virus's main outputs mixed with the synth sounds the Virus is creating. (took me a while to work out the levels though).

I have had no problem with this set up and it saves me so much time because I dont have to set up my sound card and hook everything up like that, I just connect the virus to my comp with USB, boom done!

Only annoying thing (which isnt that bad) is everytime Live opens the Virus switches its keyboard to remote only mode, which I just quickly go and change. Allowing the keyboard to control its self and send midi via USB to live.

I would love a simplified way to change patches without pressing next, next, next on the Virus or NEEDing to use lives clips the change to a specific patch.