Weird Virus problem - Notes being cut off.

• I just bought a Virus Snow and I'm getting this curious issue.

Snow has latest OS
    Using Cubase 6.5.4 on Windows 7

This is a new machine, fresh install of everything and everything is fully up to date.

The problem occurs when I go to sequence the virus. No matter what the note length (at the moment it's 8th and 16th notes) it seems that when I go to edit anything in the midi parts related to the Virus, or swap between Virus parts then the note length are cut off. It sounds like they're being gated to 32 or 64 notes.

If I save the project, then reload it then it works fine again. Until I make an adjustment.

Anybody experienced anything like this before? ?(

• Sounds to me like a problem in Cubase.. have you set the note length accidentally in the sequence track in cubase? or something is quantizing the note length. I dont use cubase, but it is a feature most DAWs have. try another DAW to test it and prove if its Virus or DAW.. Also the Virus has a note length adjustment in its Arp section (if that is what you are sequencing?)

HTH...

• It's not an issue with Cubase, or a setting in Cubase or the Virus. The issue seems to happen at random, and when I save, close and re-open the project it works as it should again with no other settings changed.

I only use Cubae (have done for several years) so I'm familiar with it's settings and it's not repeating the issue if I drag the midi clips over to a 'normal' plugin such as Sylenth or Massive.

I guess it could be the way that Cubase is talking to the Virus control, but that still doesn't explain why it works, then all of a sudden a problem arises.

• Hmm odd.. i know the virus is susceptible to odd midi controller behaviour, as in the past with "ghost notes" and odd note on messages i have witnessed, along with others. So it could be something to do with the way the Virus is filtering the midi data from Cubase. As you say, if you port the midi to another plugin synth, and all is fine, then it has to be the way either Virus is filtering, or the type of controllers/data cubase is sending out. Your plugins may not have the same type of note length midi issues that Virus has, hence they dont show up?? thats one thought. Maybe you could try and analyze the data using Midi OX and see whats happening when the fault occurs? and trace it from there...

Good Luck..

• A belated response.

There is no mid cable attached. The Snow is connected via USB only and the triggering issue only happens when it's being played back via the Cubase sequencer.

I honestly wouldn't know how to decipher midi data anyway.

I have a pal who has a desktop who experiences the same issue from time to time. He is also using Cubase on the PC, although that doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem inherent to Cubase.