The Virus TI CAME ALIVE!!!!!!!!

• Hi Everyone,

I have always used the virus Control plug in, and either bounced sounds down over usb, or analog outs (direct monitor).

Today, I got bored and thought I would give single mode a play with.

WOW!! The patches are more wider, brighter and deeper than any sound I have ever got from the Virus.

Just to make sure that it wasn't a volume thing, I compared the single mode at half the volume of the sequencer mode, and it still sounded better to my ears.

Has anyone else noticed this, or just me?

Cheers,

Aron.

• What was the analog audio path like in all cases? Virus->monitors / Virus->soundcard->monitors / etc.
    Try this: take the plugin's return audio track and add an EQ at the end of its FX chain, with multiple hi-passes and lo-passes (say 3 of each). Start with all hi-passes at 20Hz and all low-passes at 20kHz, and slowly nudge them towards each other, while you are testing the Virus sound. Does it recreate the same perception of the sound?

• What was the analog audio path like in all cases? Virus->monitors / Virus->soundcard->monitors / etc.
    Try this: take the plugin's return audio track and add an EQ at the end of its FX chain, with multiple hi-passes and lo-passes (say 3 of each). Start with all hi-passes at 20Hz and all low-passes at 20kHz, and slowly nudge them towards each other, while you are testing the Virus sound. Does it recreate the same perception of the sound?

Hi flabberbob,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

My signal path is Virus > apogee Duet2 > Monitors, and I am in a treated room with SDJ08 monitors.

But yes, I do hear the difference even when the virus is used as a sound card.

I have tried what you suggested, and while it does improve the overall clarity etc of the sound, its not even close to what I am witnessing.

I have analysed the signals, and It would appear that the RMS level is significantly higher for some reason when using the virus without VC. I placed the virus in single, multi and sequencer mode and played it via external midi (without VC running) and the sounds are alive. Fire up virus control, and raise the volume levels to match; and the sounds are not so alive.

The usb doesn't sound bad; I'm very impressed with It and will continue to work with the virus over usb, but the only way I can get close to the sound is to add limiting/compression.

But logically thinking, it could be that the soft limiting is only applied when VC is not running. The specs seem to suggest that soft limiting is optional (user selectable), but access support has since informed me that it is not.

Cheers,

Aron.

• I just purchased a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre and go from the SPDIF interface. The Virus sounds amazing!

-dj

Nord Stage 2
    Access Virus Ti2 Polar
    Sequential Prophet 6
    Korg WS-AD
    Korg TR-Rack
    Roland XV-5050

• So can you use SPIDF from Virus to (in my case Apollo Twin) and still use the VC controller for patches and the SPIDF for audio?

You can certainly use the direct outputs to send sound to the virus's physical output rather than through your soundcard.

i've always thought the thing sounds a lot better in single mode.. but apparently that's not the case.