Virus TI2 Sound Issue - Short Video and advice needed

• Hi all,

A while ago i reported a problem with my Virus TI2 desktop where the sound is absolutely terrible via USB and Virus Control. I used to have a TI2 Polar but it never sounded like this as far as i can remember.
    I made a short video just now to give you an idea of how mine sounds.
    The sound of the Hypersaw is terrible. Is this a known problem with the Virus? I have tested it without USB audio from the audio outs and it sounds perfect but as soon as i use the Virus control plugin my virus TI2 sounds like some cheap soft synth. I only bought this in july but i cannot solve the problem at all. Turning the high eq up a bit makes it sound even worse.
    Anyone have this issue? Here's a link. please listen.

VIRUS TI VIDEO

Thanks

Rob

• Hi mate,

I am just wondering if we have faulty units here. Mine is only a few months old. I thought it was a sound card issue at first BUT i have tested the Virus TI with all sorts of interfaces. Now this morning i tested with a brand new Focusrite 18i20 and still have the same problem here. This sounds terrible using the Virus Control over USB. I hope someone from Access can watch the video. I can provide many if needed.
    I'm guessing this is a USB integration problem cause it sounds fine using the normal audio outs. As i said i used to have a TI2 Polar and it didn't sound like this desktop unit i have now. Basically i cannot use the Virus Control at all on any of my systems.
    All previous patches i programmed on my TI2 Polar sound terrible on my Desktop unit. There is definitely and issue with the VC and USB here.

Had my unit since july and I'm thinking of sending it back cause its a pretty expensive bit of gear to be acting this way.

Rob

• I was a little unclear what you were exactly trying to point out in the video... it would have been to record the analogue vs usb difference.
    Id assumed you meant the 'buzz' rather than the dropouts in the video.

there is a high end 'buzz' but isn't this caused by the high level of detune mixed with a high density of hyper saws, causing a high end artefact due to them being out of phase, Id expect this to then accentuated by increasing the Hi End EQ and also the unison is going to also make it stick out a bit..... but then this is unlikely to vary between the polar and desktop which is the same internal software on the virus.

anyway, I just tested mine and its seems fine.... what I did was used Ableton - recorded first the plugin output, then a second clip via the SPDIF digital output and finally a third clip from the analogue output.
    all sounded very similar to me, (apart from the normal digital vs analogue different - caused by additional DA-AD conversion)

• Thanks for the reply mate haven't been on here in a bit.

Well i shall try the TI2 out again this week and see how it goes. I find using it via midi to be more pleasing than the VC software anyways now.

Rob

• All we can do is use the audio outs etc. My macbook pro doesn't like my virus.. iv'e tried everything and it doesn't work well over usb. Had no problems on my old windows machine.
    The virus just sounds a dream when using audio outs. I'd dump the VC anyways there's no fun in software IMO that's why you buy hardware for the knobs lol.

Rob

• I discovered this same problem when upgrading to 5.0.4.02 beta. The issue is not present in the stable 5.0.3.00 version which I highly recommend everyone use instead. I emailed Access about this and they confirmed that this is a bug in the 5.0.4.02 beta version. I suggested that this version be pulled off the Access website but this has not occurred.

Hope this helps!

• Having the same problems, not to mentioning NO SOUND out of my TI 2 with the 5.0.4.02 Beta software. I have to completely unplug power to get my sound back...I'm rolling back to 5.0.3.00 stable and will see if that fixes it..I hope..