TI2 as a MIDI controller

• Hi guys, I'm a total newbie here so bare with me but does anyone know if I can use the TI2 keyboard as my dedicated MIDI controller? If so I'm using Ableton and would love to know how to make this work. I went into preferences and then MIDI but there is nothing for a Virus in the drop down menu under control surfaces. It is there under the input and output so I'm confused on how to get it working. Thanks!

• How do you connect the Virus to the computer? MIDI cable or USB? Start with assigning All Ins/All Channels to your MIDI track. If you use a MIDI cable the names is taken from the MIDI device that is accepting the data from the Virus. If you use USB, there should be a MIDI device called Virus TI synth in. In any case, I don't think the Virus is a natively supported control surface.
    Hope this helps.

• I connect using a USB cable. Everything seems to be fine other then the damn 61 key keyboard on the TI2. I was using a M-Audio AxiomPro25 right until I just got the Virus and was hoping it would take that job of the Axiom without blinking an eye. The dials and controls work but none of the black and white keys. Hope someone thinks of something. Oh I use a native instrument soundcard that is native in my Traktor S4 DJ controller.

• my ti2 is my main controller keys and i use it via USB to cubase 7.5. everything works beautifully and i can custom set any rotary to control any aspect of virtual instrument. it plays stunning and will be my main controller for some time to come. i previously had an Axiom 2nd gen and also tried the novation impulse 61 but both were very plasticy and felt like they were going to break sometime soon lol.
    if your keys arent sending midi at all then it sounds like you have local switched off. so take a look at that first

• Gregorsmith, I think you misunderstand control surfaces in ableton.
    a control surface is optional, its basically a script that has been written by Ableton (etc) to map the device to ableton functions, like starting clips etc, seeing clip status (They are actually in the MidiRemote scripts folder)
    So the list, is a list of scripts does not change when you plug devices in - the Virus doesn't have one, because its not been written... and isn't suitable as a surface (no lights or buttons to use for clip control)
    don't fear though... you can still control ableton thru the keyboard dials etc, by using Midi Learn.. this is independent of control surfaces.

Anyway... all you need to do is select Virus (Synth) under input and output, and leave control surface as None.also review the midi ports, selecting Track and Sync as appropriate.

hope this helps.

• Quoted from "spooj"

if your keys arent sending midi at all then it sounds like you have local switched off. so take a look at that first
    How do i do that? I still got no use of my keyboard.

goto config and check out midi page 1 first and see what global midi channel you are on, to the right it will say midi device ID. i have mine set to Omni. goto page 1 of keyboard in config and check the local setting to see if its ok or off. its not an all in cure but sometimes when you have this set to on or off it can disable the keys from sending midi etc.

• Thanks for the help... I tried everything but to no avail...I bought it thru EBAY so I'm sending it back to the person.